Atlas Imperial Marad genset 1947

Oh wise and all knowing GCaptain people, anyone out there old enough to have worked on one of these things, and young enough to remember how? First start in 15 or 20 years… Found the operators Manual on online, but looking for any tips and tricks, especially the DC side.

http://www.oldtacomamarine.com/atlas/manual/AI_instructions_9x10.5_sm.pdf

Thanks

Where are you located? Is the genset on a boat now or is it sitting on blocks somewhere?

Is it connected to a DC switchboard and are there loads available?

When was the last time the engine had oil pressure and turned over?

Can you raise fuel pressure?

Will the fuel valves (injectors for the youngsters) close under pressure?

Will the fuel isolation valves close tightly enough to prevent fuel from reaching a stuck injector?

You know why I asked the last two questions, right?

Looks like she’s in an old navy derrick barge crane if I’m not mistaken from the photos.

[QUOTE=rshrew;109612]Looks like she’s in an old navy derrick barge crane if I’m not mistaken from the photos.[/QUOTE]

I’d say she is ex US Army Transportation Corps…WWII vintage old antiquated garbage that even a nation like Vietnam or Bolivia would reject. Fucking DC power on that thing!

Why doesn’t MarAd take some money out of the KP operating budget to build a new DP crane barge for itself and then charter it to the industry? Of course then hundreds of money sucking leeches that staff and operate the school won’t get their cut!

She’s in Sacramento delta, intact on a Derrick barge. Looks like everythings still there. And c.captains right, the switchgear looks like Frankenstiens basement.

Ahoy Steamer, yes, drawworks? load is on the board.

10 years or more.

Unknown on the fuel pressure, looks like there’s a hand pump but not feeling much resistance…

Unknown about the injector springs/ seats, figured I’d spin her over on air with the snifter valves cracked open and see what comes out…

Fuel isolation valves turn, and they’re tight, that’s all I know…

I’m guessing the last two questions are about hydro lock and runaway. I’m going there now, maybe I’ll try to hand pump some F/P…

Thanks

PS batteries just showed up, maybe we can get some air up if the aux starts…

Reason I asked where you are located is there may be some local help.

Can’t see the photos.

First, see if you can get some oil pressure up with an external pump then see if the thing can be barred over before you do anything else.

Then see if the coolant stays in the water jackets and flows.

Then see if you can even get fuel pressure up.

If it has sat for 10 years you really ought to pull the fuel valves (injectors) and make sure they work. Make sure the governor and rack are free. A runaway is a real possibility if they don’t shutoff. If the injectors pop early or piss you may experience the joy of a cylinder relief going off like a shotgun next to your ear followed by a cloud of the darkest smoke known to man. Or it might just break something irreplaceable.

Is this genset intended to work for a living or is it a museum piece?

Sure wish it was closeby, I would be there in a heartbeat to help get it going.

Thanks, Steamer. I’ll keep you " posted."

She’s either going to work or die…

Cheers

Ahoy Steamer, hand pumped about 3700 psi on the fuel press, leaked down at about a 100/min with the injector hand valves open. Holds good with valves closed.

No joy on the aux, batteries were flat but the beer’s not…

Thanks

Never worked with an Atlas but have with a few other oldies. Another trouble spot can be start air injection valves hanging up. Also, as old as the seals are, keep an eye on the lube oil for fuel dilution and imulsification. Be sure to check you brushes and commutator condition before applying any load.

[QUOTE=injunear;109629]Never worked with an Atlas but have with a few other oldies. Another trouble spot can be start air injection valves hanging up. Also, as old as the seals are, keep an eye on the lube oil for fuel dilution and imulsification. Be sure to check you brushes and commutator condition before applying any load.[/QUOTE]

I might be able to dig around and find you a fine stone for strapping on a broom handle if you need to knock the green off the commutator a little. Wish I was closer. If the valves are good and you can get pressure she should start. If anything interesting is going to happen it will be after she’s gets warm. [yes, I know…]

Not knowing the gen controls and configuration, I’d say lift the brushes until the engine is running and checked out. The dirt dauber nests should be slung out of the armature by then.

LOL, I’m kind of hoping the combination of fine clay and bird spit makes a good burnishing compound…

Not sure how much time they’ll give me on this project, we’re trying to salvage about a 130X50 barge under something like 20’ of water, I figure every 100 tons of lift helps…

(Plus I love old stuff). The machinery looks like it used to work. I’m guessing that the 150 kw dc gen needs external field current from the aux?

Reading through the Atlas operator book I think I know why they went out of business. Jeez, pop the heads and pull the pistons Twice a Year?

Thanks again;

Dbtj

[QUOTE=DredgeBoyThrottleJocky;109650]LOL, I’m kind of hoping the combination of fine clay and bird spit makes a good burnishing compound…

Not sure how much time they’ll give me on this project, we’re trying to salvage about a 130X50 barge under something like 20’ of water, I figure every 100 tons of lift helps…

(Plus I love old stuff). The machinery looks like it used to work. I’m guessing that the 150 kw dc gen needs external field current from the aux?

Reading through the Atlas operator book I think I know why they went out of business. Jeez, pop the heads and pull the pistons Twice a Year?

Thanks again;

Dbtj[/QUOTE]
The gen should pick up without excitation if it hadn’t lost residual magnetism. If that is the case, lift the brushes and flash the field. I haven’t done this in about 40 years! LOL!

If I remember correctly, and that is debatable on a good day, the old diesel manuals were based on the engine running 24/7 which is about 4000 hours so pulling a head in that number of hours is only about 2000 hours off the recommendation of some of the medium speed manufacturers of today. Got any idea where you’ll get parts if needed? Nothing wrong with a DC generator, skips the middleman on the drive motors. Things were simpler back then. A little knowledge, a lot of sweat along with some lapping compound, shims and other low tech things kept the lights on for most of the USA for many years.

so what is the story exactly about this crane barge? is it just been sold by MarAd? I have not seen anything in the gsa auctions site recently.

Yeah, flogged off by Marad a few years ago, something about needing money for KP…Been gathering birds and spiders since then. I’m just a dumb happy barge driver with some standby time, but I love old gizmos and electricity… If I can get this thing going on the cheap (I’m here anyway), and get another 100T of lift on the real project then everybody’s happy… Otherwise, well, I’ve noticed the boss watching scrap metal prices kind of extra close…

[QUOTE=DredgeBoyThrottleJocky;109664]Yeah, flogged off by Marad a few years ago, something about needing money for KP…Been gathering birds and spiders since then. I’m just a dumb happy barge driver with some standby time, but I love old gizmos and electricity… If I can get this thing going on the cheap (I’m here anyway), and get another 100T of lift on the real project then everybody’s happy… Otherwise, well, I’ve noticed the boss watching scrap metal prices kind of extra close…[/QUOTE]

And I thought I was NUTS buying that little fisheries research vessel! Oh well, I too love that old timey machinery and gizmos but I have no love whatsoever for DC electricity. That shit’s evul!

Good luck to you down there in the Delta, sorry I can offer any help

Man, I wish I was closer as I love the old DC systems. I sailed on a ship as Chief Electrician that was DC most of the ER crew was afraid of it but I loved it. Shit most of the old Tugs that I cut my teeth on were all DC.

If you have any problems let me know and I will see if my brain cells are still working as it’s been over 20 years but sometimes my brain surprises me. If you want I can PM you my cell number and will give you all the help that I can.