MSFSC and MMR

If you work for MSFSC are you able to join MMR, and get military benefits when placed on a ship?

No. MSC is not related to MMR.

I meant if you’re employed at MSFSC (my employer), and join the MMR (to get benefits), would you get benefits, or wouldn’t that even work under the policies?.

What benefits are you talking about? You get some when on active duty/drill time etc, but a reservist “benefits” are different than active duty and you would have to do the full bit and retire from the reserves and then wait till age 60ish to get the full retirement benefits…it’s complcated–call a Navy recruiter.

They said that I could do MSFSC, and MMR at the same time, my drill would just be pushed back until I return from a tour.

I’m not sure what benefits you think you get. As a reservist, you only get benefits (pay, commissary, etc) when you are in a drill status.

Yes, you can work for the government as a civilian and be in the Reserve Component of the Navy.

It’s actually a good gig. You get 15 days of military leave a year over and above your regular personal leave. Thats 3 weeks of double dipping, both mil and civ pay! You can have two TSP accounts, both FEGLI and SGLI. You can be in the IRR where you do not drill but just do your two weeks a year, or you can be a Selected Reservist where you are assigned to a unit for drills one weekend a month plus two weeks a year. If you travel a lot for work, not just any unit would be a good fit for you. Some require you to be there on specific drill weekends but others actually prefer people who can drill at other times, or combine several months of drills into a week at a time.

You also get unlimited Exchange and Commissary privileges regardless of whether you are on active duty or in a drill status.

Pet Peeve of mine … There is a Merchant Marine community/designator in the Navy, but there is no “MMR” per se. People who sign their name LT Shmukatelli, USNR, MMR are wrong!

I was told that as an ET that I can’t join by a Navy Reserve Recruiter in MN, is this true? I also have a BS degree.

Would the Merchant Marine Act of 1936 apply to you also, since you’re more attached to the Navy than just working at MSFSC?

[QUOTE=Q695;50108]I was told that as an ET that I can’t join by a Navy Reserve Recruiter in MN, is this true? I also have a BS degree.

Would the Merchant Marine Act of 1936 apply to you also, since you’re more attached to the Navy than just working at MSFSC?[/QUOTE]

I too, work for MSC, I tried joining the MMR while working for MSC. I was told by the LCDR that runs the MMR out of Norfolk that you must have your Chief Mate License to be a “Direct Commissioned Officer”

[QUOTE=KPEngineer;49346]Yes, you can work for the government as a civilian and be in the Reserve Component of the Navy.

Pet Peeve of mine … There is a Merchant Marine community/designator in the Navy, but there is no “MMR” per se. People who sign their name LT Shmukatelli, USNR, MMR are wrong![/QUOTE]

Unless they’ve changed it, of course there’s an MMR. This includes IRR and SELRES components. Most are in the IRR or Merchant Marine Individual Ready Reserve Group (MIRRG). The program office is in New Orleans, not Norfolk, unless they’ve changed things in the last couple of years.

Any licensed officer that is actively sailing up to 40 years old can (is supposed to be able to) join the MMR. The contact info for the program office is (this may be out of date):

MMR_PROGRAM_OFFICE@navy.mil
800-535-2580
504-678-0595

[QUOTE=Marc0;50553]Unless they’ve changed it, of course there’s an MMR. This includes IRR and SELRES components. Most are in the IRR or Merchant Marine Individual Ready Reserve Group (MIRRG). The program office is in New Orleans, not Norfolk, unless they’ve changed things in the last couple of years.

Any licensed officer that is actively sailing up to 40 years old can (is supposed to be able to) join the MMR. The contact info for the program office is (this may be out of date):

MMR_PROGRAM_OFFICE@navy.mil
800-535-2580
504-678-0595[/QUOTE]

Forgive my semantics, but you are joining the reserve component of the Navy, not the Merchant Marine. Merchant Marine is your designator, not your service.

Yes, things have changed dramatically in the last several years. The program office has been in Norfolk for 3 or 4 years now. Not anyone with an unlimited license can join. The previous version of the OPNAVINST that governs the program required a 2nd Mate/Eng license. I have not read the newer OPNAVINST, but if they changed it it would be more likely in the direction of 1st Mate/Eng. It just makes sense that with all the academy guys getting commissioned every year the real need is at the upper levels.