MSC vs NOAA Hiring Process

Is it different? I applied to both for AB, was shot down at NOAA and hired by MSC. I used the same resume and KSAs with four years of sea time. What gives? NOAA said not enough experiance? I have a pile of endorsements…

Any insight on this one? Glad I got a job offer but still wondering why one and not the other and if they use the same standard.

[QUOTE=Discharged Seaman;44196]Is it different? I applied to both for AB, was shot down at NOAA and hired by MSC. I used the same resume and KSAs with four years of sea time. What gives? NOAA said not enough experiance? I have a pile of endorsements…

Any insight on this one? Glad I got a job offer but still wondering why one and not the other and if they use the same standard.[/QUOTE]

What type of endorsements do you have?

[QUOTE=Discharged Seaman;44196]Is it different? I applied to both for AB, was shot down at NOAA and hired by MSC. I used the same resume and KSAs with four years of sea time. What gives? NOAA said not enough experiance? I have a pile of endorsements…

Any insight on this one? Glad I got a job offer but still wondering why one and not the other and if they use the same standard.[/QUOTE]

They use the same standards but not the same human resources type people but in both cases your application is reviewed initially by someone who most likely has never spent a night at sea so they may not have a clue as to what you’re talking about beyond what they were told in orientation and thru the grapevine. On the other hand it’s possible your application didn’t show as much experience as the others they had at that time. There are times when a day or two of experience will put you at the front of the line and then there are times, like now, when mates and masters are applying for jobs as ABs or anything that pays.
Don’t take it personal. Be glad they had the courtesy to respond, most companies don’t even acknowledge they received your application much less give you a hint as to why you didn’t get the job.
MSC is a more respected outfit anyway.

[QUOTE=tengineer;44207]They use the same standards but not the same human resources type people but in both cases your application is reviewed initially by someone who most likely has never spent a night at sea so they may not have a clue as to what you’re talking about beyond what they were told in orientation and thru the grapevine. On the other hand it’s possible your application didn’t show as much experience as the others they had at that time. There are times when a day or two of experience will put you at the front of the line and then there are times, like now, when mates and masters are applying for jobs as ABs or anything that pays.
Don’t take it personal. Be glad they had the courtesy to respond, most companies don’t even acknowledge they received your application much less give you a hint as to why you didn’t get the job.
MSC is a more respected outfit anyway.[/QUOTE]

That seems right. NOAA informed me not enough experiance by way of the USA Job site.

[QUOTE=KneelbeforeZod!;44203]What type of endorsements do you have?[/QUOTE]

AB Unlimited, RFPNW, 100 Ton, Fast Rescue Boat, Advanced Fire, Train the Trainer…

Thought I’d be good with that. Seems like MSC would be a better pay check and way to get to 3/O anyway… Takes FOREVER though. Three months and counting from when I got the job offer and still waiting on that NEO date. From Hawaii to NJ in the dead of winter…shit.