NOAA vs MSC

Anyone on here ever work for both? I have my plane ticket and start date for MSC as an AB, but I have just been offered the same position with NOAA for a permanat mixed tour schedule.

I’m looking to find what the mixed tour means and if NOAA will station you at your closest home port; I live in Hawaii and would much rather sail from home to be with the family.

I’m also looking to find the better agency to advance and obtain a license.

I will leave for MSC, but it would be nice to get some info on the differance in work schedules and pay.

Thanks

You’ll get seatime and make more OT with MSC than with NOAA. You’ll get port time in the states a lot more with NOAA.

Well, its all about money for now. I found some NOAA threads on here with good intel, and think I’ll stick with MSC.

Thanks…

[QUOTE=Seaman;45077]Well, its all about money for now. I found some NOAA threads on here with good intel, and think I’ll stick with MSC.

Thanks…[/QUOTE]

You’ll be sorry you did.

MSC has many former NOAA sailors in the fleet. Most say NOAA was fun, but the $$$ at MSC is way more. Most did not have nice things to say about the NOAA Corps officers. I have never heard of anyone leaving MSC to sail with NOAA.

Well I went with noaa first. Seems more relaxed. Do a year or two then maybe try msc. I like hawaii and honolulu is a nice home port.

I have the same questions but vice versa. I was tentatively offered a permanent full-time position with NOAA to work as an AB aboard the Oscar Dyson based outta Kodiak, AK. I was quick to accept the offer and am going through the hiring process. Just last week I got an email from a recruiter from MSC asking if I was interested in an AB position with them. I did a little research and asked around on reddit and got mixed reviews. Most say NOAA would be more kush and relaxed with more time off but less pay than MSC and that MSC would be working more with more overtime but hard to get time off if they can’t find replacements for your scheduled time off.

My only martime experience is 10 yrs of commercial fishing in Alaska waters and as the Oscar Dyson is a research vessel/trawler here in AK I know I would be more familiar with the fishing operation minus the research part. I think NOAA would be exciting cause I do like science and feel like it could lead something more in the research field.

But then again with MSC I would be able to see the world while getting paid(as some put it) and wouldn’t be confined to only the state of AK. But I would be at sea alot more. Someone who hasn’t worked for either one asked me if I want to be taking orders from some Navy dickhead. I don’t think that would be the case…maybe he doesn’t what he’s talking about? Do Navy officers run the CIVMAR vessels?

Looking for suggestions so I can solve this dilemma.

Thanks