MSC Leave Question

To MSC veterans. I am making the jump from unlicensed to 3rd engineer unlimited and had a question regarding MSC’s vacation time. I understand that they work roughly 10 months a year. That’s unacceptable. Is there a way to take a leave with out pay or will they consider that abandonment? Is there any way around this? I don’t mind not getting paid half the year if that means spending more time with my kids.

Its hit or miss, brother. Sometimes, they don’t try to contact you and you are more or less forgotten about. Until they need someone with your qualifications to fill a billet. I got away with taking about two extra months a year. My Grandmother (God Bless Her) would cover for me when they would call and tell them I was camping in the Everglades. Mind you, that was before, email, cell phones etc.
As a rule though, they frown on it. Especially with new hires.

Leave without pay LWOP, is an authorized type of leave at MSC. They put out at orientation in 2010 they require that you do two 4 month gigs per year.

Generally no. There is no leave without pay option, however, once I heard of an AB that wanted a leave of absence to start a landscaping business. ( idea was if the business took off he would just quit, if not he would come back to work). So, he leaves and goes about building a business. It fails 8 months later and he walks back into the office. To his amazement the placement officer welcomed him as if he had always been there, nothing was said, and he went to another ship.

But generally, you can’t get more than what they allow you. Add to that, when you are off your chances are being called back early are around 80 percent or better.

If you want to spend time with your family ( and most of us do ) msc is not for you,… Sad, but true.

Please forgive my ignorance about yall’s side of our profession, but why do they force theses brutal, inhumane schedules on crew at MSC? I know that 14/14 is out of the question and that even 28/28 might not be possible. It sounds like people are there that actually want to live their lives with some enjoyment and not work 10 months out of the year. I have worked with Dutch pipelaying and construction companies often and they don’t let their officers stay more than 42 days and its an even rotation. No matter where in the world they are. They say its for the sake of the company as well as the officer, after 6 weeks away your attitude and performance degrade considerably. So again please excuse my ignorance but why are they torturing people who aren’t necessarily masochistic?

[QUOTE=Swampnet;90801]Please forgive my ignorance about yall’s side of our profession, but why do they force theses brutal, inhumane schedules on crew at MSC? I know that 14/14 is out of the question and that even 28/28 might not be possible. It sounds like people are there that actually want to live their lives with some enjoyment and not work 10 months out of the year. I have worked with Dutch pipelaying and construction companies often and they don’t let their officers stay more than 42 days and its an even rotation. No matter where in the world they are. They say its for the sake of the company as well as the officer, after 6 weeks away your attitude and performance degrade considerably. So again please excuse my ignorance but why are they torturing people who aren’t necessarily masochistic?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately MSC’s leave accrual rate and the number of mariners they are allowed to hire are dictated by Congress, and those numbers are stuck in the 1950’s. To get more paid leave accrual to more nearly match commercial companies, and to hire more mariners to support increased leave, MSC would undoubtedly have to have the same bottom line cost, which would result in a reduction in wages of about 35% to 40%. I cannot imagine many mariners anywhere agreeing to such a huge pay cut for more paid leave.

[QUOTE=Jeffrox;90750]Leave without pay LWOP, is an authorized type of leave at MSC. They put out at orientation in 2010 they require that you do two 4 month gigs per year.[/QUOTE]

“Two 4 month gigs” is not bad at all, unless you are required to do them back to back. Are you?

[QUOTE=LauHalaLana;90809]Unfortunately MSC’s leave accrual rate and the number of mariners they are allowed to hire are dictated by Congress, and those numbers are stuck in the 1950’s. To get more paid leave accrual to more nearly match commercial companies, and to hire more mariners to support increased leave, MSC would undoubtedly have to have the same bottom line cost, which would result in a reduction in wages of about 35% to 40%. I cannot imagine many mariners anywhere agreeing to such a huge pay cut for more paid leave.[/QUOTE]

Stuck in the 1950’s, I never knew that one. I know when I sailed for MSC, decades ago, it was a great opportunity to rapidly raise your License and advance. I was on board their ships for a long time. One of the reasons may be MSC has “interesting” missions, which require their vessels to be at sea, or available, for a much longer stretch than any commercial shipping outfit. MFOWelectrician, you might want to consider your opportunity to advance rapidly as a plus, it’s totally up to you and your needs.

One more point, I’m not sure this is true today, but an Engineer with MSC is (or use to be) welcomed into the MEBA. A big plus!

So, close to zero time off but a great place to move up the ranks. Tough decision there. I did meet a few engineers on Matson Lines that moved up at MSC then switched over to MEBA. Definitely something I’ll look into.

S-N-G,
MSC members can join MEBA, pay dues, and earn group time all while employed with MSC.

[QUOTE=scengineer;90829]S-N-G,
MSC members can join MEBA, pay dues, and earn group time all while employed with MSC.[/QUOTE]

Thanks scenginner - I like that. It’s fair.

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;90832]Thanks scenginner - I like that. It’s fair.[/QUOTE]I don’t know if it has changed since I left there, but you couldn’t get an “A” book working for MSC. It didn’t matter how many years you paid dues. since you didn’t ship out of the hall they would only let you have a “B” book. That was the same for the MMP and SIU also.

[QUOTE=seadog6608;90836]I don’t know if it has changed since I left there, but you couldn’t get an “A” book working for MSC. It didn’t matter how many years you paid dues. since you didn’t ship out of the hall they would only let you have a “B” book. That was the same for the MMP and SIU also.[/QUOTE]

I believe you are correct, seadog. I didn’t join the MEBA when I sailed with MSC. I left MSC for another outfit and when they closed shop I joined the MEBA, therefore I had to pony-up the bucks to join and received a "Group Two Book. Didn’t take long to get a “Group One Book,” I would accept any open board job, ships no one seemed to want but for the life in me I couldn’t figure that one out. Most of the ships I worked, as Group Two, were dam fine vessels and on great runs. My first ship with the MEBA was the SS [I]Adabelle Lykes[/I], I took the 1st A/E job, on an African run. Ever been to Durban, Port Elizabeth, Mombasa?

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;90873]I believe you are correct, seadog. I didn’t join the MEBA when I sailed with MSC. I left MSC for another outfit and when they closed shop I joined the MEBA, therefore I had to pony-up the bucks to join and received a "Group Two Book. Didn’t take long to get a “Group One Book,” I would accept any open board job, ships no one seemed to want but for the life in me I couldn’t figure that one out. Most of the ships I worked, as Group Two, were dam fine vessels and on great runs. My first ship with the MEBA was the SS [I]Adabelle Lykes[/I], I took the 1st A/E job, on an African run. Ever been to Durban, Port Elizabeth, Mombasa?[/QUOTE]

Oh hell yeah. Mombassa! Florida Bar was our hangout. I never got into the other ports you mentioned but I’ve been in Capetown. What a blast that place is! Also got to Reunion Island. Much fun to be had there for a young lad!

[QUOTE=seadog6608;90927]Oh hell yeah. Mombassa! Florida Bar was our hangout. I never got into the other ports you mentioned but I’ve been in Capetown. What a blast that place is! Also got to Reunion Island. Much fun to be had there for a young lad![/QUOTE]

Oh you big bad boy, seadog, The Florida Bar, 'Course I was there too, just to look around mind you, I was writing a book. Shoot, the ship stayed in port for over a week. The 1st A/E and Day 3rd A/E were day workers so we did all the required maintenance and repairs during the day and at 1800 we would head out to the old colonial hotel on Moi Ave, a few blocks from the elephant tusks arch, The Castle Royal, enjoyed the outdoor street patio bar, had a few cocktails, watch the world pass bye. Then, of course, when night time hit we would wonder down to the Florida Bar. Ah, the good old days!

I take 3-4 months off a year with MSC by doing the only way that is “legal” with MSC with out getting an AWOL letter. I go to my doctor or dentist every 30 days and tell him that something hurts or my teeth need to be whitened/cleaned. gotta make sure you don’t always use the same medical problem or they call it a reoccurring issue. hope it helps.

I never really understood the allure of 5 years with MSC to get into MEBA. You do the 5 years and get right into group 2 and you get the 4k waived. But you do 8 months a year with MSC. When I first joined the MEBA I did 6 to 7 month years and never all at the same time. In less than 5 years I earned group 1 and a 1 AE license. I had to pay 4k, but the money I made shipping out of the hall along with a permanent job more than made up the 4k. MSC is great for some people, but just wasn’t for me as I had a wife and young son when I started.
To the OP if your an MFOW electrician MEBA will be a pay cut as a 3AE makes less than the electrician, reefer, bosun, and even steward under some of the new contract the MEBA has signed

Brjones,

How much of a pay cut? What are the lowest contracts d1 has to offer. I don’t mind taking a step back in pay as my lifestyle is able to afford it.

I too ventured into the Florida Club a few times for “research” purposes as well. When I was in SIU I always took the govt contract MSC/MarAd jobs. They were usually trip work when the ships were activated. They didn’t pay as good as other jobs but i was getting sea time. If the vessel had an ROS crew the all did day work Mon-Fri and were off weekends. It wasn’t until I inquired with MSC directly about a permanent gig that I found out about the rotations. I didn’t want to be locked into a 4 or 6 month trip just to “earn” time off.