I just attended a school in San Diego (TRL). Met a bunch of MSC people taking classes next door and wanted to pass on the info I collected from them as it was very different then the impression I got about MSC from this site.
The people I met ranged from Wipers, OS, Stewards, Engineers and most had been with MSC for several years to a lot of years.
- They all were happy working for MSC. I heard no complaints (and I spoke with some pretty crusty engineer types that have no problem speaking their mind…)
- They only sail for 4 months unless they request to stay on the ship longer (which many seem to do). Occasionally a relief is a couple weeks late but I heard no stories of 2 months late or anything like that.
- There are currently 800 people in the pool. They get paid for either basically doing nothing or going to school. While assigned to a ship they get paid while the ship is tied to the pier (which seems to happen quite often).
- The reason so many are in the pool is eight ships are either ready or close to ready to be commisioned but the commisioning is being delayed.
- Advice on how to get an entry level deck job when they are only hiring for engineers from an experienced engineer (female with 20 years at sea); hire on as a wiper then request a transfer to deck and you will get it.
Now before those folks out there that hate MSC start bitin my head off know this, I’ve sailed enough on haze grey ships, I don’t want a job with MSC, just not for me. I’m simply passing on the info I collected as I thought it might be interesting/helpful to some of you out there.
Hope this info helps…