MSC Commericial Cruise

Already did. Figured I’m missing out on few things by going with MSC but gaining the expiereince of UNREPS and running dischargrges under the more dynamic condition. The way I looked at it, if you can do a discharge to a destroyer that thinks it’s alright to shut down against you without warning then you can discharge to a shore tank.

It ain’t the same thing. I have UNREPed and I have seen what goes over side when the Navy makes a mistake… MSC is fantasy land, fun and enjoyable, but it isn’t commercial shipping.

CMA: Loved your flikr pictures and your posts. I’ve heard rumor that cadets on commercial cruise can sometimes actually receive compensation, crumbs that they may be, while aboard. Any truth to the other rumor that MSC positions are strictly charity work, whereas positions on commercial carriers are where some money is. Did you do any fishing?

Nope, I made a meager $3.55/hr x 40hr a week. Any overtime work they had us do was charitiy though (we had to be on deck for every UNREP while we were on board). Just enough to for the occasional taxi into town. But I guess since I’m used to not really making rediculous amounts of money I was alright with that. That seems to be the standard cadet rate for most deepwater companies. I know there was a couple tug or supply companies that were paying cadets OS wages though.

EDIT: Double posted

Have you heard of any exciting cruise lines? I am looking for excursions from the cruise to a lot of exotic places. Can you help me out?

Hi Logan82 http://gmason.cruiseone.com/travel/cruises/group_request.do is a great site to check out for adventure, romance and excursions from the ship to fabulous and memorable places.

Sailed MSC for commercial, thought I would get my PIC and have a leg up. Kinda lame though it took forever to get a ship and when all said and done came up 18 days short in getting my PIC. CMA definitely didn’t try to help me get back on a ship to finish up, and all tanker companies won’t even consider you for employment unless you have a PIC. MSC only paid 2.25, and then gave me a 25 cent raise. WOW. Someone on the ship told us to ask the C/M about overtime and he laughed at us. It was a good experience overall, was given a $500 reward at the end that more than made up for the lack of “overtime pay”.