Required carriage of shipboard publications

Hello folks,

Thought I’d ask for some help for searching for:
list of required publications that must be carried aboard vessels

I’m sure there is: IMO, USCG, STCW, and CFR details on the required publications, that also depend on the type and waters of the vessel.

I did find an IMO MSC-MEPC.2.Circ.2.pdf that names:
[ul]
[li]International Code of Signals**[/li][li]IAMSAR Manual Valume III**[/li][li]Nautical Charts & Publications (SOLAS V/19.2.1 & V/27) Couldn’t find more info on this[/li][li]Publications required my ISM Code, Couldn’t find more info on this[/li][/ul]
**pubs for emergency use, should be hard copy

Uninspectied Towing Vessels guidebook: UTVGuidebook.pdf | gCaptain post

So, anyone want to pitch in? Thanks.

What kind of vessel and in what kind of trade?

[QUOTE=z-drive;138147]What kind of vessel and in what kind of trade?[/QUOTE]

Whatever port state control wants on that day in their port…

If its the Suez Canal, the SCA will be more than happy to sell you the required book that you would never guess in a million years you needed.

Uninspected tugboat, international rules, Near Coastal, inside Territorial Sea marker.

[QUOTE=z-drive;138147]What kind of vessel and in what kind of trade?[/QUOTE]

UTV’s must carry a currently corrected edition of, or an applicable currently corrected extract from, each of the following publications for the area to be transited.
If the vessel is engaged in towing exclusively on Western Rivers, a U.S. Coast Guard Light List; Applicable Notices to Navigation published by the ACOE, or Local Notices to Mariners (LNMs) published by the Coast Guard, for the area to be transited, when available; and River-current tables published by the ACOE or a river authority, if available.
If the UTV is engaged other than in towing exclusively on Western Rivers, a Coast Guard Light List; Notices to Mariners published by the National Imagery and Mapping Agency, or LNMs published by the Coast Guard; tidal-current tables published by private entities using data provided by the National Ocean Service (part of National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration), or river-current tables published by the ACOE or a river authority; tide tables published by private entities using data provided by the NOS; and a U.S. Coast Pilot. 33 CFR 164

I reckon that should cover it for that service. I’d look at the UTV inspection checklists for exactly what they want to see but the above should cover it.

You can download a lot of the pubs from the NGA website. Light Lists, List of Lights, Intl Code of Signals, Distance between Ports, Chart 1, Bowditch, etc.
Here’s the link…
http://msi.nga.mil/NGAPortal/MSI.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=msi_portal_page_62

Inspectors have always told me it’s OK to just keep a back up copy on a CD along with the one you keep on your computer. Corrections can be downloaded as needed. Much better than buying a new Light List (example) every year when you’re not even using it.

COMMANDANT INSTRUCTION M16672.2D: NAVIGATION RULES, INTERNATIONAL-INLAND…(don’t leave home without it)