A fist full of papers

Alternative title for this thread: [I]Can I use a filing cabinet as checked baggage?[/I]

After searching the forums I could not find a definitive answer, so I’ll ask here: [B]What documents are we required to carry on our person while we are sailing?[/B] I realize that the answer to this question might be different, depending on your rating- so specifically for myself (and thousands of others like me) sailing as officer on harbor assist and coastal tugs that might occasionally sail to Mexico or Canada, eh?

It used to be that I would carry a huge folder with me, to every vessel I sailed on, which held my paper license, GMDSS lic, RADAR cert…etc, etc…sea time letters and every certification from every freaking class that I have ever taken. The whole schbang.

Then, not long ago, they gave us the [I]Little Red Book[/I], or MMC. All your endorsements and such in one tidy place. Like most of us, mine is full of stickers, and stamps- and with my TWIC card in the nifty holder and securely rubber-banded to my Passport, I felt like my days of toting around all those other papers was finally over. It was also about that same time I realized that carrying around all those other certificates and letters was dangerous. God forbid I was to loose my bag, or drop it in the water or have it swallowed up by a hungry pelican, and POOF all my sh*t gone, along with my ability to sail. Now my MMC/Passport/TWIC/Company ID all fit nicely in this little waterproof case next to my laptop.

Problem is, now the folks in my office are telling me that I need to be carrying around my GMDSS license, RADAR Renewal certificate, VSO class certificate, Drug & Alcohol class certificates, and more! WTF? With the exception of the Drug & Alcohol specimen collector, all those other certs/endorsements are printed in my MMC!
After looking around the NMC website, and searching the CFRs, I was unable to find anything clear about what papers I need to carry onboard. If anyone could please shine shine some light on this subject, specifically with reference to the CFRs, USC, NVICs…etc, so I can put an end to this debate once and for all, I would be grateful.

Cheers

No, I’m not a hoarder…these are just the documents I am required to keep as a professional mariner.

All mine are scanned and uploaded as PDF documents on “Google Drive”, which is like Microsoft office (word, excel, power point, etc…) but for the internet. Google Drive is accessible both through a web-browser OR as an app on your handy-dandy smart phone. The records are secure and can only be accessed by YOU with the use of your password to your google account. They cannot be “googled” and discovered by anyone else. Since you are working coastwise in the USA you will probably never be without internet service in a place where someone would want to see your documents, so you should be all set. I have found this tool to be a godsend and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!

I just carry my MMC, TWIC. My NMC says I am certified to serve on vessels in GMDSS, arpa etc. If i was unqualified, it would say so.

I sail domestically. If I was going foreign again, I’d have everything that’s ever been issued to me with a valid expiration date! Radar, ARPA, GMDSS, Passport, and a list of policy letter crap from the NMC. Used to have a nice leather “binder” with all my docs in plastic sleeves back in the day when we had full-size licenses.

This is when I wish we could get the CG to chime in and issue a nice one page NVIC!

I deal with PSC inspectors quite regularly, although they are obviously dealing with foreign vessels I am sure they could break it down for me. I’d be happy to pass it along if so.

+1 on the google drive, but I’d use it strictly as a backup.

[QUOTE=z-drive;131872]I just carry my MMC, TWIC. My NMC says I am certified to serve on vessels in GMDSS, arpa etc. If i was unqualified, it would say so…[/QUOTE]

GMDSS and ARPA are different. Generally, the MMC says what you are qualified for, not what you aren’t. This applies to GMDSS. GMDSS is an endorsement of its own. Unless you have a GMDSS endorsement, you are NOT qualified for it. ARPA and soon, ECDIS, are exceptions. ARPA is a part of other endorsements, not an endorsement of its own. If you are [U]not[/U] qualified for ARPA, the MMC will say so.

[QUOTE=z-drive;131872]This is when I wish we could get the CG to chime in and issue a nice one page NVIC![/QUOTE]

How about six pages? See Encl 3 to the Grandfathering NVIC: http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/announcements/pdfs/nvic-02-14_Grandfathering_final_with_encls_20140122.pdf

Yes, should have worded it more accurately.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;131867]All mine are scanned and uploaded as PDF documents on “Google Drive”…Google Drive is accessible both through a web-browser OR as an app on your handy-dandy smart phone. The records are secure and can only be accessed by YOU with the use of your password to your google account.[/QUOTE]

Fantastic idea. I all ready have most of the documents scanned and saved onto my laptop hard drive anyway, so why not keep 'em in the cloud too? Easy access for inspection by any company administrator or official. Thanks for the tip!

[QUOTE=jdcavo;131897]
How about six pages? See Encl 3 to the Grandfathering NVIC: http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/announcements/pdfs/nvic-02-14_Grandfathering_final_with_encls_20140122.pdf[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the information Mr. Cavo. Enclosure 3 of 02-14 still does not specify if we need to carry anything other than our MMC/TWIC. My interpretation is all that we are [I][B]legally required[/B][/I] to carry is our MMC/TWIC & Passport (if sailing foreign). My company wants me to carry my VSO class completion certificate and others as mentioned in my original post, but I’m guessing that the Port State Control of some other country isn’t going to give a damn about my completion certificate from XYZ training center. They are only going to care about documents issued by the govt.

Sailing coastwise, why would the boys in blue need to see anything other than my MMC? Per Encl. 3, my MMC specifies everything they need to know regarding my qualifications to fill my billet. If, for some reason, the USCG did want to look at one of my class certificates, I would show them the digital version (thanks Paddy), and tell them that I don’t keep the originals on my person for safety reasons. Yes/No?..and thanks for your help!

[QUOTE=captfish;131982]Fantastic idea. I all ready have most of the documents scanned and saved onto my laptop hard drive anyway, so why not keep 'em in the cloud too? Easy access for inspection by any company administrator or official. Thanks for the tip![/QUOTE]

How does foreign port state control react to “I don’t have my certificates with me, but here look at images of them on my iPad”?

I do a similar thing, I use Dropbox and when I scan my docs to send in to our HR lady I keep a copy in the cloud for me. I do it with my recency too.