MSC...Assimilated Rank for Military Base Privileges

But the question was about how the Navy would view things – “assimilated rank”.

1 Like

It was, and thus it would be appropriate to grant the Cheif (engineer) of a civilian vessel the same privileges as the Captain.

One could envision the Navy viewing it either way.

I’m sorry that you don’t appreciate or care about your Forces that protect you both on land and sea. What a shame…

Government civilian employees are granted officer equivalent ranks I was wondering in my OP were CIVMARS fell in. https://www.history.navy.mil/research/library/online-reading-room/title-list-alphabetically/c/comparison-of-military-and-civilian-equivalent-grades.html

Easy there cadet, don’t be throwing that kind of slander around in this crowd.

2 Likes

Reporting what I observe.

Cool story bro. We have our duties, they have theirs…when they aren’t crashing into ships or on shore leave that we aren’t allowed.

4 Likes

Ray and Johnny, you cats need to have a beer or two together, but 6 feet apart. I see both sides.

1 Like

Oh I think that’s a leap; I’ve only ever seen a couple of posters here with an active hatred of the Navy. Most of it is good-natured (and sometimes deserved) ribbing. Besides, the pay’s the same whether or not the merchies dip then ensigns as they sail by. :wink:

I’m far more curious which O-clubs anyone would have an active interest in visiting; the only ones that are halfway decent are in Yokosuka, Sasebo, and Bahrain.

1 Like

My understanding is most O-clubs are shut down and the fun of the old days ended 15+ years ago.

1 Like

I’ll take it further back. I’m the mustang, commissioned in 1972 and on a big gator flag ship at Naval Base, Norfolk. We would head to the Destroyer & Submarine (D&S) Piers and hit the club there. It was an all-ranks, with beer by the mini-pitcher, great Reuben sandwiches, and nude dancers. Same at the clubs at Breezy Point (NAS Norfolk) and the “Tank Deck” on the lower level of the “O” Club at NAVPHIBASE Little Creek. All was good until an admiral’s wife got wind of it and got it all shut down.

Yes, far from PC, even then. But it was what it was. A lot more than 15+ years ago. I retired from the USN 27 years ago.

1 Like

The same rules apply on base here and they also apply in the Returned Services Clubs ashore.

Ocnsir, my neighbor that served in HM 12 and 16 as a master chief is well aware of mustangs. He can barely walk now, but had great things to say for mustangs as an enlisted cat. You have my deepest respect sir. He last served on the Guam. I met the captain for lunch after a few days from his retirement, He passed my vessel near New Orleans outbound and put my friend on the radio. on the way to Gitmo.He knew he lost a good guy that wanted to stay beyond the rules. Ship was retired/decommissioned not long after. He did say “Damn nice rig” regarding my vessel.

SeaEagle, thank you for your kind comments.

I believe one of the main reasons I did well as a Division Officer, Department Head and XO is that I knew enough to listen to, and learn from, the Chief Petty Officers, Senior Chiefs, and Master Chiefs. And on my first ship after commissioning, I also had a few Chief Warrant Officers and Limited Duty Officers as mentors. As XO I spent as much time collaborating with the Command Master Chief as I did consulting with the CO.

I found that those CWOs, LDOs, and senior enlisted leaders expected much more out of me as a mustang, because my performance reflected on them, and I strived hard to meet their expectations.

But I believe that Navy, where I learned my trade with my first eight years as an officer at sea, is long gone. I spent 13 of my first 15 commissioned years at sea.

Sorry for digressing from the original topic.

Actually you didn’t digress. “Assimulated Rank”. You earned it. My pop worked for 30 years in missles to deploy from submarines, but never served on one. USN Observation Island was his rig for many years… He finally got his dolphins from the then current commander of our submarine forces at the time of retirement… Was always proud of him, but the tears in his eyes that day spoke volumes how much he was appreciated and loved his job protecting our country. Sorrry i digressed, but not really. Base privilages… you bet your ass.

Everyone understands that “assimilated rank” is the equivalent to officer rank that civilian government employees are assigned n military environments with regard to base privileges and housing. It has nothing to do with LDO or warrant.

Cruise ships have a staff captain. Where does he fall in Assimilated Rank?

His is a simulated rank.

4 Likes

US Government doesn’t run/own cruise Ships. There are none in MSC so that doesn’t apply. Funny thing though, in the first Gulf War the Navy chartered a cruise ship to be used for R&R.

1 Like