Ms. Caroline in collision

That is the second time that boat has hit something. The first was a platform I believe.

Hey man the boat is a small one. I do think those guys where sleepy and not been attentive to duty. Sorry man, hope all of u are doong pretty good.

At the end of the day, I think this was a great reminder of a couple of things…
1: Check the man at the wheel atleast every 15 minutes IF you’re not riding upstairs with him.
2: Get plenty of rest and if you’re still tired, wake the other man up!!!
3: When in doubt…pull em’ back

I held a nice, long safety meeting today and used this as a prime example of what can happen. I was glad to see everyone onboard WALK off the boat. I’m sure someone in the insurance office is going to cry about long hours and running in heavy seas, ect…

Hey man the boat is a small one. I do think those guys where sleepy and not been attentive to duty. Sorry man, hope all of u are doong pretty good.

The man with broken neck and ankle was rushed to the hospital. From what I’ve heard, he is ok (for what can be expected with his injuries). The ship that was hit was 1300ft. Still don’t know what ship they hit though

Yeah the two man rule in the wheelhouse is usually implemented after the fact as evidenced by other crewboat collisions from other companies out there. Again glad there was no loss of life and a good job to the guy who brought her the rest of the way in and tied her up.

[QUOTE=rigdvr;71829]Corner? Looks like a 90* collision with a wall! When they came in to the dock they were met by medics and ambulances left with lights rolling. Hope no one was hurt to bad.[/QUOTE]

My bad. When looking at the pictures one of them showed what I thought was a corner hit but after looking again saw that she hit head on. Sorry for the mistake.

Nothing to be sorry for. I had the benefit of seeing it in person.

I feel bad for the entire crew the Captain has lost his livelyhood the crew will have nightmares and the Company will survive.
I think everyone should keep thier comments to them selves until the USCG has finished its investigation. Sure it looks bad
and more regulations will come from it and thats the down side of this. I pray no one was hurt and if so just mentally
because thats curable and broken this or injured that can be long lasting or career ending. The moral of this is this can
happen to any of us that run Fast Supply Vessls and it does not matter how many people are in the wheelhouse.

That’s why you have a two person bridge watch ,lookout.

I hope this becomes a requirement from the CG. Just because the boats are smaller doesn’t mean they work any less

What are you talking about ? This is already a requirement. You must maintain a proper lookout at all times is the rule as per the USCG.

Yes a proper look out is required, but I don’t believe it requires a specific number of people on the bridge.

I think your right, I know that some companies have the two ma rule anytime the boat is underway. Its an in house decision to help avoid that, plus they have deadmans systems on some of our bats as well.

Well pray tell where would this look out be… In the engine room? No, he should be where he has 360 visibility. And where would that be… Hmmmm.,… On the bridge of the vessel perhaps? Any body that needs this explanation probably needs addition rules put in place for them.

Yes, but the rules don’t say what qualifies as a “proper lookout”. Why can’t the oicnw be a proper lookout by himself? No matter how many people you have on the bridge, if you hit something you did not have a proper lookout and if you don’t hit anything you do have a proper lookout.

I bet the guys that need to have proper lookout defined, probably need instructions to wipe their ass too.

If you hit something, you did not have a proper lookout, end of story.

There is no explanation that will stand up during an investigation so if you collide or allide (one object moving vice two) pack your bags and open your wallet.

I already explained it to you. If you don’t hit anything you have a proper lookout and if you do hit something you don’t have a proper lookout. Simple really…

I see someone has learned the rule about a proper look out and is proud to tell everyone about it now…

Everyone knows you need a proper look out, but there’s nothing that defines it. I have ran watches where I was the only person on the bridge. I haven’t heard how many people were on the bridge at the time of the accident or what the company requires. So again I stand by my comment about how I hope the CG requires 2 people on the bridge at all times.