Mr Cavo More Help - Shipyard Sea Service

If required to remain on a vessel while on drydock or in the shipyard can that time be used as seatime. This particular vessel is a 500gt OSRV. The vessel will be away from home port for about 8 weeks in the shipyard.:confused:

I’m just going from memory here…

I believe that while in shipyard you are considered to be in Reduced Operating Status (ROS). While in ROS deck officers earn 1 days seatime for 3 days aboard. Engineers can earn 1 for 1 while in ROS because the job is similar whether alongside or at sea.

I don’t like it but that is the rule… as I remember it anyway.

If your company just uses the payroll to determine sea time they probably won’t break down underway vs shipyard. My sea time letters have always included shipyard time but never mentioned any time spent in a shipyard. Then again I get my sea time on request (every few years) and not on a trip by trip basis. I have also only been on a vessel in shipyard for a total of 3 or 4 weeks.

[QUOTE=Capt. Schmitt;59795]If your company just uses the payroll to determine sea time they probably won’t break down underway vs shipyard. [/QUOTE]

SHHHH!!!

Keep that on the down low man, last thing we need is the CG nit picking our sea time letters asking how the time was accounted for.
Same thing goes for time accumulated while tied up at the dock. Although I can argue that OSV’s and tugs are exempt from that because we are always doing the Fuchon shuffle, or its equivalent.

Think of it like Fight Club. You don’t talk about how you got your sea time. As far as anyone is concerned we have all been underway 100% of our time aboard a vessel.

But if you must know Capt. Schmitt got it right.

…Think of it like Fight Club. I love the comparison!

Sent from my iPhone using gCaptain