More Rumor Mill: Maersk Tugs?

I know Maersk already has some anchor handling vessels, and I think some off shore salvage tugs, but you know how the rumor mill in this industry works… I heard through the grapevine the other day that Maersk was looking to get into some smaller stuff here in the U.S. It’s probably just a load of B.S. but the way I heard it told was that they wanted to start doing ship assist and small-boat stuff like that in big ports like New York, but also possibly some ATB stuff along the coast.

This is more than likely based on nothing, and I’ve never heard this rumor from any other source but it would certainly be interesting if it were true, which is why I thought I’d throw it out here for you fine gentlemen (and Cathearder, she counts too, especially since she lives near Maersk’s US headquarters) to dissect.

Is this just a bunch of crap or are the wheels turning down in Norfolk and over in Denmark?

unless there is LOTS and LOTS of Federal Government money to be had in their new ventures, I don’t see Maersk doing it. There is also some restrictions between them being a Danish company getting involved in coastwise trade I believe.

Markets pretty well saturated on the east coast, only so much pie to divvy up. I doubt it.

Truck and highway lobby makes coastal container ineffective but that’s the only room i could see growth. Few 400’ container barges with pins an 6,000hp or so boats like the big 125+bbl barges.

Ship docking, well good luck.

[QUOTE=“z-drive;108361”]Ship docking, well good luck.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Moran and McAllister have that locked up with old boats that have been paid for for centuries and cheap labor. It would be very hard to break into the market.

Heck I used to work for them and still have buddies there. I’ll ask around but this is the first I’ve heard of it.

Unlikely but always possible as there is enough Maersk and partners to cover the cost of having their own tugs. With bigger ships at times the 30 year old tugs just barely do the job.

Argent Marine / Maersk Joint Venture

Maersk is looking at ATBs…
http://www.argentmarine.com/maersk.html

Since 2008 Argent Marine and Maersk Line, Limited have worked together to develop and market the technology conceived by Argent Marine for use by AT/Bs and, where appropriate, small ships to effect the widespread distribution of LNG.
The companies plan to organize formal joint venture companies under which Argent Marine will contribute its designs and LNG operating capabilities and Maersk will contribute its technical and operating support and the economies of scale associated with its and its parent’s worldwide operations.
The joint venture companies will be dedicated to the development of small scale LNG transportation systems. They plan to build, own and operate AT/Bs and small ships to facilitate the distribution of LNG on a worldwide basis.

Moran in Norfolk does have cheap labor, but they have very capable boats and the tractor tugs are not very old at all.

[QUOTE=“ryanwood86;108404”]Moran in Norfolk does have cheap labor, but they have very capable boats and the tractor tugs are not very old at all.[/QUOTE]

True, where the work requires it (and is lucrative enough to pay for it) they have good equipment.

[QUOTE=cmaq;108386]Argent Marine / Maersk Joint Venture

Maersk is looking at ATBs…
http://www.argentmarine.com/maersk.html[/QUOTE]

This is a picture of Argent Marine/Maersk’s idea for an LNG ATB.

This is interesting considering that Maersk sold their U/L tonnage LNG interests to Teekay in the first quarter of 2012.

I have seen at least three other concept designs for LNG ATB’s. ABS even approved the LNG ATB concept for construction. Notice that the first two designs below include OT&BE’s “Costwise” class of mega-ATB, better known as the OSG Vision and the OSG Horizon.

Also, this week Crowley bought Carib Energy, which is an LNG company. Since there has been so much talk about LNG lately it is probably smart that all these companies and looking to get into the LNG trade. Crowley hasn’t said that their going to build LNG ATB’s, but since their ATB’s seem to set the industry standards, and they have so many of them, it may only be a matter of time before they wander down that path.

With all these different possibilities buzzing around, different companies acquiring LNG interests, designing LNG ATB’s, what I want to know is who is going to be the first to build one? There has been a lot of talk but no action yet…

My personal opinion is it will be an oil/gas major contracting with an existing ATB operator, all we as minions will hear is “such and such is building an LNG ATB” not “Exxon/bp/cheniere is building an LNG ATB.”

…more likely is they build a few new pipelines rather than deal with jones act shipping.

Interesting LNG design as it must have a reliquification for the boil off gas or the pressures would rise and pop the relief valves (4 internal tank design). I think they use the product as the refrigerant as it one of the few cooling agents with a boiling temp that can be lower than LNG temp (-260’s) if boiled in a slight vacuum.

Sorry, but I just couldn’t resist reposting this due to the similarity in design to the above. The deck tanks were designed to haul propylene but never did. I believe that Dixie removed them the last time that they operated the unit. Or was it Texaco? I know that Bludco or their sister company operated an LPG ATB, too.

Sea Skimmer/Plaquemine by cmakin, on Flickr

Doesn’t Martin/midstream have the Texan that shuffles gas around the Delaware?

[QUOTE=z-drive;108675]Doesn’t Martin/midstream have the Texan that shuffles gas around the Delaware?[/QUOTE]

Is that where she is working these days?

Yep it’s running around up there.

I believe that is correct, the Texan is still moving LPG, deck tanks and all. I could be wrong but I remember reading that recently.

…no comment on my recency since I couldn’t say for sure…

Reckon they did a terrible loop from Marcus hook to Fort Mifflin.

[QUOTE=cmakin;108671]Sorry, but I just couldn’t resist reposting this due to the similarity in design to the above. The deck tanks were designed to haul propylene but never did. I believe that Dixie removed them the last time that they operated the unit. Or was it Texaco? I know that Bludco or their sister company operated an LPG ATB, tr[/QUOTE]

When Dixie Carriers bought the Sea Skimmer, it spent a good while in the yard before it ever went to work. I know the deck tanks were gone when it come out of the yard as the Dixie Commander. I can’t really say for sure who took them off. Next time you talk to Soper rattle his brain, he was in charge of all the dry docking’s back then.

The Bludco boat was the “Texan” and the barge was the “Ponciana” Another Bludworth rig

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;108762]When Dixie Carriers bought the Sea Skimmer, it spent a good while in the yard before it ever went to work. I know the deck tanks were gone when it come out of the yard as the Dixie Commander. I can’t really say for sure who took them off. Next time you talk to Soper rattle his brain, he was in charge of all the dry docking’s back then.

The Bludco boat was the “Texan” and the barge was the “Ponciana” Another Bludworth rig[/QUOTE]

Oh, I know some of the details regarding the extended yard period. Some heads rolled after that one. To be honest, I think that the tanks were off before Dixie bought it, though. I should rattle Soper’s cage, if only to laugh at his accent. . . .