MMC medical waiver

Does anyone know of someone who received a USCG MMC Medical waiver for seizure disorder? My son is in desperate need of advice on this matter. He is a great young man with a big passion to work on the water. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is the link to the National Maritime Center’s medical branch.

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/medical/default.asp

A link to NVIC 04-08 has a lot of information about what additional requirements for specific conditions.

I have a waiver which says there is “no periodic reporting requirement”. The waiver becomes invalid for any recurrence. Not the same as your situation, but thought I’d add my experience. If you call the NMC you should be able to request to speak to someone in the medical branch. Maybe answer your questions.

I’m no doctor but I am an experienced sailor.

Let me just say thta if your son has a history of seizures and they are a normal thing he has to deal with then you definitely DO NOT want him working on a boat or ship. We are usually far away from the nearest medical help and working on the water is already dangerous enough for those of us who don’t even have seizure issues never mind the fact of water+seizure history…

[QUOTE=Palsgals;182427]Does anyone know of someone who received a USCG MMC Medical waiver for seizure disorder? My son is in desperate need of advice on this matter. He is a great young man with a big passion to work on the water. Any help would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Waivers for ceretain provoked seizures and stable disorders with unprovoked seizures with a recent seizure free history could be eligible for a medical waiver. See Enclosure 8 to NVIC 04-08. For unprovoked seizures (e.g. epilepsy), he will need to be on a stable medication regime and have been seizure free for either 4 years, or 8 years depending on the type and nature of the condition.

[QUOTE=Colston1285;182446]I’m no doctor but I am an experienced sailor.[/QUOTE]

We prefer to let Doctors evaluate the risk of a recurrence.

It’s better to let the docs determine fit for duty

Seizures are a funny thing. Many people “age” out of them. If they are stable on medication and otherwise fit, then who am I to say?

The bigger problem in this industry is not with physical issues but with ego- a psychological problem.