MITAGS apprenticeship

Going to start MITAGS apprenticeship program and have three interviews with Crowley, Foss, and Sause Bros.
Goal is to be a Tug Captain. What is life like when out of class and on your companies boat that sponsored you?
Should I aim for one of those companies over the others?
Thxs

1 Like

Congratulations! I almost, almost enrolled in the east coast program last year but came to the conclusion it wasn’t the best fit and decided to hawespipe. Any experience on a tug at all?

Go into it humble and ready to learn. Realize that your goal is certainly possible but will take longer than you think. Cherish the time working on deck and in the engine room and be agreeable and a good ship mate.

All three of those companies are great to places to work and operate in different sectors of the maritime economy. They’re rather large and advancement will come but certainly will take longer than at a small company. Decide where you’d ultimately like to be and then go from there. A lot of friends work at Foss and love it. I’d lean towards which ever company has the rotation you’re looking for. Good luck.

1 Like

Any of those companies will be good experience and good places to work. Personally, I might prefer Foss.

1 Like

No experience at all. I was a oil guy for a long while so I know about rotations and being a good crew member and a team player.
Thanks for the insight!

Nice, learning curve will be steep but keep after it! Rewarding career for the patient. Where are you located?

Heading to Seattle to attend MITAGS

1 Like