Military Sealift Command

Just a few quick questions about MSC.

Anyone know how long the OS to AB Advancement Program has been closed? The website states that it should be opening in the next few months, but I have read accounts around the 'net about it having been closed for almost the past 2 years.

If I get impatient, and apply for Supply Utilityman, do my days on board still count toward seatime? Can I apply for AB upgrades on my own even if my experience has been in this position?

As a SU, are there the same opportunities for lots of overtime as there is in other positions?

It was opened this past march 2010 http://gcaptain.com/forum/maritime-employment/4610-os-msc-opened.html When they put things on the “opening in the near future” section the announcements do open fairly soon.
(personal gut opinion: If it was me, I wouldn’t go SU with MSC if my goal was AB and the deck department. I don’t think there’s any assurance that MSC would let you transfer from SU to OS nor any assurance they would write you seatime letter as an SU so you could utilize the seatime as time spent in the deck department thereby allowing you to upgrade on yoiur own.)
Someone with personal experience care to chime in?

Thanks Jeffrox. With that information, I will definitely hold out until they reopen OS.

One further question as to MSC’s financial requirements. It seems that your past financial records are part of the hiring requirements. Does anyone think I will have an issue if I have a past bankruptcy (maybe 4 years old), but have no current debts?

I think I will be able to answer your question, because I am experiencing the same stuff, now.

I worked for MSC for a long time. The problem with changing ratings is getting back to the department you actually want to be in. They have “permanent” positions and “temporary” positions. If you are a “temporay” employee, you can change jobs, departments and even get permanent promotions. If you are already a “permanent” employee, you pretty much screwed. If you get a “temporary” promotion and a “permanent promotion board” does not convene before the expiration date of of your temporary promotion, you get busted back to your permanent rating. But if a “temporary” employee get s the same promotion, its considered a “permanent” promotion! I know it sounds ridiculous, but believe me its true. I’ve seen it happen and I’ve been a victim of it.

[QUOTE=MarcDS;39342]Thanks Jeffrox. With that information, I will definitely hold out until they reopen OS.

One further question as to MSC’s financial requirements. It seems that your past financial records are part of the hiring requirements. Does anyone think I will have an issue if I have a past bankruptcy (maybe 4 years old), but have no current debts?[/QUOTE]

I just got turn down the security clearance of MSC for the unknown reason… I honestly put in bankruptcy info’s with help from a person in the company as my memory served…that is the only possible reason I can think of…

[QUOTE=MarcDS;39342]Thanks Jeffrox. With that information, I will definitely hold out until they reopen OS.

One further question as to MSC’s financial requirements. It seems that your past financial records are part of the hiring requirements. Does anyone think I will have an issue if I have a past bankruptcy (maybe 4 years old), but have no current debts?[/QUOTE]

Before anything else, I would like to introduce my self first. My name is Cris and currently living in Hawaii with my wife and a father of 4 wonderful kids. I am very glad to see this forum because I have some concerns about the employment with MSC. I used to work in a cruise ship as a cook last 2006 here in Hawaii and I see it very interesting to be on a ship, but that time I never knew that MSC ever existed until I met my wife. She was a Deck Apprentice with SIU and it turns out that her brother works with MSC and her father is a retired BosunMate also with MSC. To make the story short, I am interested to join the fleet, but at the same time I am having concerns with the employment process because of my unsettled debts. I am currently paying it off already for me to apply with the company. My concern is, is there any chance that I can get hired even though my debts are not yet totally paid off?And how long does the hiring process takes?And do you guys have any advice when it comes to my concerns???

Thank you

In my opinion simple debts are not a problem, car note, house note, credit card, etc etc. The problem I think lies with massavie delinquent debt, court orders, liens, unpayed child support, recent bankruptcy, etc etc.

[QUOTE=Jeffrox;44034]In my opinion simple debts are not a problem, car note, house note, credit card, etc etc. The problem I think lies with massavie delinquent debt, court orders, liens, unpayed child support, recent bankruptcy, etc etc.[/QUOTE]

Thanx for the reply…so as long as you are paying off your debts, you are okay with the employment process. Well i know for sure my debts are all past 90 days delinquent but trying to pay it all off little by little.

[QUOTE=Jeffrox;44034]In my opinion simple debts are not a problem, car note, house note, credit card, etc etc. The problem I think lies with massavie delinquent debt, court orders, liens, unpayed child support, recent bankruptcy, etc etc.[/QUOTE]

We too live in Olongapo kababayan thanx again;)