Military Sealift Command

Hello everyone, I had a phone interview with MSC a week ago & now my profile says (under review for suitability) I applied for the SU entry level position. My question is, How long should it take to to hear something back? & What are my chances getting the job? remind you I have no seatime experience.

I have no sea time either & they called me two weeks after the interview & offered me employment. I’m just waiting to take my drug test & physical now.

[QUOTE=thatboywes;148376]I have no sea time either & they called me two weeks after the interview & offered me employment. I’m just waiting to take my drug test & physical now.[/QUOTE]

I just checked my MSC profile & now my application status says (Forwarded) idk who its being forwarded to because the HR department was just reviewing my profile Suitability. Did they tell you when you’ll be taking you drug test & physical when they called you…?

I had my phone interview Thursday and my status still says forwarded. Hopefully I’ll be hearing from them soon. They only asked 3 question for my interview.

I waited 5 months for the callback. Good luck.

[QUOTE=jlspitler;148422]I had my phone interview Thursday and my status still says forwarded. Hopefully I’ll be hearing from them soon. They only asked 3 question for my interview.[/QUOTE]

I received my job offer a week after my interview. If they need someone, you should get a callback.

Less then 2 weeks after my interview. I recieved a phone call with a job offer for the entry level postion and I accepted . All they said was to be expecting an email with information etc. Anyone know the time line from this point of actually working and earning money. Thanks.

[QUOTE=jlspitler;148422]I had my phone interview Thursday and my status still says forwarded. Hopefully I’ll be hearing from them soon. They only asked 3 question for my interview.[/QUOTE]

What were the 3 questions?

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;148990]What were the 3 questions?[/QUOTE]

What am I currently doing for work?
Would I be willing to take orders from someone younger then me?
Why am I interested in joining MSC?

[QUOTE=jlspitler;148987]Less then 2 weeks after my interview. I recieved a phone call with a job offer for the entry level postion and I accepted . All they said was to be expecting an email with information etc. Anyone know the time line from this point of actually working and earning money. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Don’t quit your job.

Does MSC man the fleet ocean tugs (Powhatan class)? Or are they AMO contract?

[QUOTE=Xavier6162;148994]Don’t quit your job.[/QUOTE]

Well today I have my drug test scheduled and they scheduled my physical for December 23rd. Any one know when they schedule NEO. My equip is all turned in and I have sent them everything they have asked for etc.

Also I believe MSC only has 4 ocean tugs.

I can honestly say I’m jealous. Looks like you’ll have a Job early next year. Are you working now?

I have a (QMED) Electrician, Oiler,and Reefer Engineer endorsements with many years of seatime. I just sent my application for Steward Utilityman (SU). My goal is to have a career change to become a Chief Steward someday. I used my 10 point preference because of my service-connected disability of 30% or more as a Navy Vet. There is no opening yet, the status said, “FORWARDED”. Is there such thing as overqualified because I’m going to an entry-level job from an experienced mariner?

Didn’t you say you were electrician for the SIU for a while? Why not transfer to their stewards department, surely you have some seniority by now. Don’t they have a good training program already set in place?

[QUOTE=MFOWelectrician;149807]Didn’t you say you were electrician for the SIU for a while? Why not transfer to their stewards department, surely you have some seniority by now. Don’t they have a good training program already set in place?[/QUOTE]

I said SU or Steward Utility, not SIU. Besides, you must have a good reason to transfer from Engine to Steward if u are with SIU.

Ok. Thought in an earlier post you said you sailed electrician for the SIU.

[QUOTE=seamanloloko;149801]I have a (QMED) Electrician, Oiler,and Reefer Engineer endorsements with many years of seatime. I just sent my application for Steward Utilityman (SU). My goal is to have a career change to become a Chief Steward someday. I used my 10 point preference because of my service-connected disability of 30% or more as a Navy Vet. There is no opening yet, the status said, “FORWARDED”. Is there such thing as overqualified because I’m going to an entry-level job from an experienced mariner?[/QUOTE] Yea your way over qual’d for an SU job. The Chief Steward is underpaid in MSC as is the Commo. For instance, the Commo is in charge of the LAN, Satt TV, Top Secret material, maintain comm circuits and equipment, watch standers, and more, yet earns less money than the ship pecker checker. There are also an unlimited amount of drunks, incompetents and complete a-holes in the MSC family that cannot be fired. You won’t be turned down for having all those endorsements.

For shitzngiggles I looked at MSC’s website for AB openings. None to be found. Nor were there OS, SU, or any other deck rating. How often do they hire unlicensed deck crew?

[QUOTE=MFOWelectrician;149812]Ok. Thought in an earlier post you said you sailed electrician for the SIU.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I sailed for the SIU from 2004 to 2010. I tried to go back after 2yrs but lost my seniority.