Military sealift command question

I was recently hired by MSC, supposed to go to NEO first week of December. One question I have is what is the gym situation on the ships? I’m about to turn 39, I started exercising regularly when I turned 35 and it has greatly improved the way I feel. That is something I really don’t want to let go, all I really need to stay in shape is a treadmill and a couple weights, nothing to fancy. Do all ships have a gym or is it hit and miss?

1 Like

They all have some sort of gym/equipment. Varies depending on what class ship it is

2 Likes

Also, I have been playing guitar since I was 10, I obviously know that noise is probably an issue but would it be out of the question to bring a guitar on board.

Thanks beercaptain for the reply.

If it’s an acoustic and you have your own room. I’d wait before deciding until you find out what ship you’re going to. Not recommended in open berthing.

2 Likes

Thanks. I would like to bring an electric guitar, it would be much quieter then an acoustic. I would be plugging it in to an audio interface, then in to my laptop and the sound would be coming out of my headphones so it would make almost no noise.

2 Likes

To echo what BeerCaptain posted, there is usually some kind of work out equipment/space on most vessels. Of course there are also lots of ladders (what you might call stairs). Lots of opportunities for exercise. . . . .

1 Like

You have a lot of questions sir. Not to be harsh, but you will get more than enough excercise doing your daily work on board.Need more? There is a couple of fellows down below that would welcome your presence, perhaps not. No AC and loud noises.They may like your guitar, after a pack change out. Ain’t a pleasure trip sir. We worked for every dollar in a very small space.

1 Like

I was in far better shape when I was sailing than what I am now. Even working for ABS, with daily surveys (often multiple vessels/rigs).