Music on the bridge while on watch?

I did an Atlantic crossing in December where I had the 8 to 12 watch. No air conditioning. No chairs. No music.

I just finished a 20-day bluewater trip in the Pacific on a private yacht with leather seats, music and every electronic gadget possible. I had the 12-4 watch.

Like driving a car, I felt that it was easier to stay attentive with background music. However, if the audio was a book on tape or a comedy routine, it had the possibilty of being a distraction.

So what do you think about tunes on the bridge?

Sirius in the wheelhouse 24/7.
Come time to maneuver, dock or cast off - turn it down until evolution complete.

More about this on Music on Bridge? thread

Certainly. It does bring a laugh when you have a company policy that forbids music on the bridge, or on watch period - and the vessel has a car style radio installed in the dash and they pay for XM radio service.

Crank it to 11…gotta jam out!!!

No music here at MSC-East. Maybe those hippies on the West Coast ships can listen to thier rock & roll. I have fond memories of my cadet days sailing with Hvide and Sea-Land listen to CD’s while on the 4X8. We CivMars are held to a higher standard, we also enforce the “no smiling” and “no laughing” on the the Bridge policy. MSC, what a strange outifit…pays the mortgae though :slight_smile:

Bastard sparky, after putting the time signal through on the speaker would tantalizingly let you hear a few seconds of the music, that he was comfortably listening to in his cozy shack…hoo rah for GMDSS!

In our desperation for anything, it was cranking the DF dial over as far as it would go trying to pick up the faint tunes of Radio Luxembourg.

[B]There is nothing wrong with music on the bridge if it is not too loud and it is not crack music…[/B]

I don’t know how I would get through the day without tunes its a must have.

Sirius radio is great.

Kenwood Car stereo system w/ Sirius XM radio here…Even have an aux input for plugging in MP3 player when there is something I really want to hear. One of the first things I did when I came to my current boat was set this system up.

It’s a must have in my book.

Here’s my theory: if the person on the beach used to be a Captain or Mate and they are now the ones implementing a ‘no music at anytime’ policy, they were shitty watchstanders when they were sailing and they can’t imagine that we’ve got the sense and professionalism to turn the thing down when we need to, because they didn’t when they needed to. If the person on the beach didn’t use to be a Captain or Mate, they are a lawyer and what the hell do they know?

[QUOTE=roversea;31658]Sirius radio is great.[/QUOTE]
[B]As long as I’m not paying the bill…[/B].

Music may make your time on watch better, but there is no way in hell you can convince me it makes you a better watchstander.

To each his own.

[QUOTE=seadog!;31681]Music may make your time on watch better, but there is no way in hell you can convince me it makes you a better watchstander.

To each his own.[/QUOTE]
[B]Depends on whether you can give your full concentration to the task at hand, follow the routines of the watch, not allow yourself to be distracted, be confident enough in you abilities to be able to multitask, etc, etc…correct…to each, his/her own. Some can…some can’t…some need constant supervision…[COLOR=Red]Lee Iococca once said “Lead, follow, or get out of the way”…[/COLOR][/B][COLOR=Red][COLOR=Blue]Looking at your profile and accomplishments you seem to be a leader and can handle a little music in the background…
[/COLOR][/COLOR]

lets quit “tap dancing” here…if you are involved in a “incident” and it is evidenced that “music” was present in the wheelhouse…what would you think the USCG’s determination might possibly be…may be a “contributing factor”??

Surgeons listen to music in the operating room. I drive my car on the freeway listening to music - are you ready for this - while I am SITTING DOWN. Would I listen to music if I was in an area with vessel traffic - no.

“incident”, determination- daydreaming about sex. Salt peter required as a nutritional supplement for all maritime personnel. Sirius in the cab of my 18 wheel fuel truck, jamming on the roads of the Colorado Rockies. Ya’ll come visit now, 'ya hear.

Surgeons listen to music in the operating room. [B][I]would prefer whoever is cutting on me be able to do so without any distractions[/I][/B] [B][I]what so ever[/I][/B] I drive my car on the freeway listening to music - are you ready for this - while I am SITTING DOWN. [B][I]so does the moron with the 1000w amp and 15" speakers [/I][/B]Would I listen to music if I was in an area with vessel traffic - no. [B][I][COLOR=red]but some idiot is out there doing just that!![/I][/B][/COLOR]

[B][I]I am neither condemning or advocating…merely shedding light on the potential implications!!keep in mind the infamous idiom “I figured it was alright cause the captain does it”??[/I][/B]

[QUOTE=seadawg;31698]Surgeons listen to music in the operating room. [B][I]would prefer whoever is cutting on me be able to do so without any distractions[/I][/B] [B][I]what so ever[/I][/B] I drive my car on the freeway listening to music - are you ready for this - while I am SITTING DOWN. [B][I]so does the moron with the 1000w amp and 15" speakers [/I][/B]Would I listen to music if I was in an area with vessel traffic - no. [B][I][COLOR=red]but some idiot is out there doing just that!![/I][/B][/COLOR]

[B][I]I am neither condemning or advocating…merely shedding light on the potential implications!!keep in mind the infamous idiom “I figured it was alright cause the captain does it”??[/I][/B][/QUOTE]

There’s nothing wrong with saying I can and everyone else cannot because I’m the Captain - if you are worried about implications based others actions. That is your prerogative. I have no problem with ripping out all the chairs in the bridge if it keeps the watch awake at night. Situations dictate actions, but for the most part, a radio is pleasant and safe, and is no more distracting than listening to WX transmissions. If a responsible person can’t operate a radio, then they probably can’t sit in a chair either.