Merchant Ship Movie Cameos

Just watched “Edge of Darkness” with Mel Gibson. There’s a scene about halfway through where he and another guy are sitting on a park bench in East Boston looking over at downtown and an ATB goes by, taking up a pretty good percentage of the background. I don’t know Reinauer’s fleet front and back but I’m still pretty sure it was the JoAnne Reinauer. Anyway, I thought it was pretty cool that she showed so prominently as a piece of the scenery, instead of just some blip on the horizon. I don’t have any screen shots of it but if I think of it later I’ll try and get one.

Anybody else know of any instances where familiar ships show up in otherwise unrelated places in films? Another prominent example I can think of are some very beautiful shots of American Export Line’s Independence/Constitution (I forget which) in Cary Grant’s “An Affair to Remember”. Those were the days, weren’t they?

Two boats I worked on while in college were in the movie Navy SEALs, the Carrie-B and the Elizabeth River Ferry.