Medical Certs for MMC

Not yet, even though my VPSSD/Advanced FF page has been updated to “approved to print” as of 6 Feb.

Maybe it will be included, but since I need to take another physical for my 3A/E application it’s not a big issue.

Just received my Medical Certificate today (2/27) despite it being “Approved to Print” since 12/20/13…

It expires [U][B]next week[/B][/U].

Apparently, they ignored a previous application submission over the summer which included a recent 719K physical, and instead went with one that I attached to an application from 2 years ago. Brilliant.

Mine was in the works a few months ago when I got my vpdsd but haven’t seen it yet? dafuq?

Got mine last week, expires when my license expires in 8/15

It’s like " license creep" but way worse!

If you submit early, the new renewal date is based on the date of the physical exam at the doctors office, not the date that the NMC finally gets around to reviewing and approving your submission. Or not approving it, as the case may be. Just took them 71 days to review my waiver for obstructive sleep apnea.

here’s the stupidest part of the whole thing…how does this make any sense what so ever???

The Coast Guard is changing the validity period of a medical certificate issued to a mariner who is serving as a first-class pilot from 1 year, as proposed in the SNPRM, to a maximum period of 2 years. The Coast Guard is making this change in response to comments from the public, MEDMAC, and MERPAC. The comments raised concerns that the Coast Guard would not be able conduct medical evaluations and issue medical endorsements in a reasonable amount of time with a 1-year validity period. Aligning the validity period of a medical certificate issued to a first-class pilot with the validity period of STCW medical certificates will help to minimize the numbers of mariners who will require more frequent medical evaluation. This change should decrease the workload on the medical evaluation staff and help to reduce the possibility of unreasonable time delays. The requirement for pilots to obtain annual physical examinations remains unchanged.

So whats this…I have to get a physical, but NOT submit it for a certificate I’ll be holding that will be valid most of the time, but not all the time? Such nonsense, initially I thought we’d be lucky enough to catch a break and only need to send one in every other year.

Mine expired last month!

If you call and make a fuss they’ll slap an extra year on it. I should be getting a new one next week.

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/announcements/pdfs/short_duration_med_certs_bulletin.pdf

Short Duration Medical Certificates for Mariners with STCW Endorsements
In an effort to rapidly provide medical certificates for mariners sailing internationally, the National Maritime Center (NMC) has recently discovered that some mariners have been issued medical certificates which will expire between January and September 2014. To resolve this issue, the NMC is taking the following action:
 In order to mitigate additional obligations for those mariners impacted, the NMC will be issuing a new medical certificate with STCW expiration in 2015. This only applies to mariners whose Merchant Mariner Credential containing STCW endorsements was originally issued during the period of January to September 2012.
 Mariners who have medical waivers that have an annual submission requirement will still receive a time-limited medical certificate that corresponds with the appropriate required submission dates.
The NMC wishes to thank those mariners impacted for their patience while their medical certificates are corrected and sent to them. Please call 1-800-IASKNMC (1-800-437-5662) or email IASKNMC@uscg.mil for further information.
Sincerely,
/J.P. Novotny/
Jeffrey P. Novotny Captain, U. S. Coast Guard Commanding Officer

So I’m not currently sailing, but the NMC was nice enough to send me a medical cert. FYI it has an expiration date same as my license in 2017

I was wondering where mine was so I called REC Toledo. They mailed it out 21 Feb. Now its in the hands of the USPO. Wish me luck!

I got my first one three weeks ago and a second identical one showed up in the mail last week. I wouldn’t be surprised if a third showed up in the future

I got mine Saturday 8 Mar 2014. The STCW expiration date and my Pilotage expiration date were 7 Mar 2014. I called NMC and the nice lady actually admitted that they made a misprint and the dates should read 2015. A new one will be forthcoming by 1 April. Will miracles never cease?

I happened to check the status of mine via NMC and was informed it was “issued” on the 10th. Shock and surprised when the mail ran today there it was. I’ll give um an attaboy for that one!

Just got my fancy medical card this week, expires in two months. Genius!

I have been waiting six weeks for my VSO endorsement. Its awaiting review. No sign of any medical certificate.

Short Duration Medical Certificates for Mariners with STCW Endorsements
In an effort to rapidly provide medical certificates for mariners sailing internationally, the National Maritime Center (NMC) has recently discovered that some mariners have been issued medical certificates which will expire between January and September 2014. To resolve this issue, the NMC is taking the following action:
 In order to mitigate additional obligations for those mariners impacted, the NMC will be issuing a new medical certificate with STCW expiration in 2015. This only applies to mariners whose Merchant Mariner Credential containing STCW endorsements was originally issued during the period of January to September 2012.
 Mariners who have medical waivers that have an annual submission requirement will still receive a time-limited medical certificate that corresponds with the appropriate required submission dates.
The NMC wishes to thank those mariners impacted for their patience while their medical certificates are corrected and sent to them. Please call 1-800-IASKNMC (1-800-437-5662) or email IASKNMC@uscg.mil for further information.
Sincerely,
/J.P. Novotny/

I am in the situation described by the first check box. I contacted the USCG after receiving a med cert that expired in less than a month. They told me there will be a new cert sent. I haven’t seen it yet but I’m printing and carrying the e-mail just in case.

[QUOTE=Radiocheck;132851]Short Duration Medical Certificates for Mariners with STCW Endorsements
Sincerely,
/J.P. Novotny/

I am in the situation described by the first check box. I contacted the USCG after receiving a med cert that expired in less than a month. They told me there will be a new cert sent. I haven’t seen it yet but I’m printing and carrying the e-mail just in case.[/QUOTE]

Part of the problem for me is that I have a new license, an upgrade, coming soon. I had a much more recent physical done because of this upgrade application. As far as I can understand, I should have a new medical certificate issued with this license, which should expire in the spring or summer of 2016. God willing that is what the USCG will see fit to do, rather than issue me another one that expires in 2015 to supplement the one they already issued me that expires two months from now. We will see, I guess! I’ll let you guys know how it goes…

Uncle Sam’s Confused Group

Same thing here. I got home from Sea today and my wife handed me an expired medical cert. So, I’ll be waiting for new one to show up.