Master AGT inland to Oceans 46CFR 11.404

Question Is someone holding Master AGT Inland and/or GL upgrading directly to Master AGT Oceans. What’s is “under the authority of the license held” ?

One must hold the Inland/GL AGT license and service on an unlimited tonnage vessel as Master for 720days ?

If one services on Inland/GL while holding a Master AGT but the vessel isn’t unlimited tonnage but over 100GRT would that count for the upgrade?

From checklist, NATIONAL MASTER OF SELF-PROPELLED VESSELS OF UNLIMITED TONNAGE
UPON OCEANS OR NEAR COASTAL WATERS § 11.404
“720 days of service, while holding a license or endorsement as Master of GL &/or Inland of AGT under the authority of the license held & examinations.”

Going from Chief Mate to Master AGT only needs time above 100GRT on license from NOTE in the checklist.
"Note: Service as Master on any vessel over 100 GRT, including trade restricted, will meet the requirement as C/M. The service must be within the scope of the MMC with regards to vessel type, and/or tonnage "

Thanks,

1 Like

That is true but you wouldn’t get an actual unlimited license. For an unlimited tonnage license with no tonnage restriction all time has to be over 100 GRT and at least half the required time has to be over 1,600 GRT. If you don’t have the minimum necessary time over 1,600 GRT you will get a tonnage restriction.

Main thing I don’t understand is someone holding Master AGT Inland and/or GL upgrading directly to Master AGT Oceans. What’s is “under the authority of the license held” ?

For that pathway requiring 720 days of seatime. Do those days need to be on a vessel of a certain tonnage ?

You must hold Master unlimited GL&I or Inland and serve as master on inland vessels.

All of it needs to be over 100 GRT and, in order to not have a tonnage restriction, at least half of it needs to be over 1,600 GRT.

Im currently testing for a master AGT with tonnage limitation for inland waters. So to upgrade to master AGT Oceans with tonnage limitation I only need 720 while holding AGT inland on an inland vessel over 100GRT ?

720 days as master, yes.

Keep in mind that without STCW it’s effectively a 200 ton ocean license since only vessels under 200 GRT are STCW exempt and vessels that aren’t exempt are required to be STCW compliant at all times, even on purely domestic routes.

Except for UIFV. Fishing vessels are exempt up to 5000 GRT are exempt from STCW. I believe that yachts might be exempt too, but I’m not positive.