Maritime Security Awareness - needed for Coastal and GOM?

Have searched gcaptain for info.
Is this course essential and required? Or is it for international voyages, and MSC. Asked Mid Atlantic Maritime and got a yes/no answer. Has anyone worked at a OSV or Coastal Tug Co. that said "oh yes ,you need this " ? Has anyone taken the course yet. Any info would be appreciated.

[QUOTE=Doodlebug;132247]Have searched gcaptain for info.
Is this course essential and required? Or is it for international voyages, and MSC. Asked Mid Atlantic Maritime and got a yes/no answer. Has anyone worked at a OSV or Coastal Tug Co. that said "oh yes ,you need this " ? Has anyone taken the course yet. Any info would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

My understanding is that Security Awareness is for everyone onboard, and can be given by the SSO or CSO. They can make up a security awareness presentation and give it to new personnel or any current employees. Now this is for personnel not involved in the security plan, which they need Security Designated Duties.
Day visitors do not require any training. This will include all persons visiting from shore for the day or personnel.
Overnight visitors require STCW Security Familiarization Training to be delivered on day of arrival.
Any person assigned onboard that performs work. Contractors/Business Partners and other third parties will require the STCW Security Familiarization training on day of arrival.
Any Seafarer (interpreted by Flag to mean any person assigned a role on the Ships Station Bill) will be required to take the STCW Security Awareness training.
Any person assigned security related duties as defined in the Security Training Standard (derived from the Ship’s Security Plan or the Ship’s Security Station Bill) will be required to take the STCW Designated Security Duties training.

[QUOTE=PDCMATE;132253]My understanding is that Security Awareness is for everyone onboard, and can be given by the SSO or CSO. They can make up a security awareness presentation and give it to new personnel or any current employees. Now this is for personnel not involved in the security plan, which they need Security Designated Duties.
Day visitors do not require any training. This will include all persons visiting from shore for the day or personnel.
Overnight visitors require STCW Security Familiarization Training to be delivered on day of arrival.
Any person assigned onboard that performs work. Contractors/Business Partners and other third parties will require the STCW Security Familiarization training on day of arrival.
Any Seafarer (interpreted by Flag to mean any person assigned a role on the Ships Station Bill) will be required to take the STCW Security Awareness training.
Any person assigned security related duties as defined in the Security Training Standard (derived from the Ship’s Security Plan or the Ship’s Security Station Bill) will be required to take the STCW Designated Security Duties training.[/QUOTE]

That does explain some, do drillship personel and OSV seamen need it? I can take it at Mid Atlantic for 250.00, seems like a simple thing.

My company wrote us all letters. Sent into MMC with just copy of twic and MMC and a filled out application. Cost 0$ for them to process and took a week too get. I will try find the letter and what it said. Probably along the lines that we have been doing this for years without titles so give to our employees. (Tugs)

Same with the company I work for, I received an application, a letter and a notice that I had to have the endorsement by January 1st. All it cost was the price of a stamp.

Star center had a good template letter. Had 'joe boss write it up on their letterhead and good to go.

[QUOTE=Doodlebug;132247]Have searched gcaptain for info.
Is this course essential and required? Or is it for international voyages, and MSC. Asked Mid Atlantic Maritime and got a yes/no answer. Has anyone worked at a OSV or Coastal Tug Co. that said "oh yes ,you need this " ? Has anyone taken the course yet. Any info would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

It is required for all on vessesl subject to STCW.

[QUOTE=Doodlebug;132255]That does explain some, do drillship personel and OSV seamen need it? I can take it at Mid Atlantic for 250.00, seems like a simple thing.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the above is the same for all personnel on MODUs.