Maritime employment - I need a change

Maybe this should be started on a new thread.

What are the options when a crewmember refuses to obey direct orders from the captain?

I remember a tale of a captain locking his crew in the fish hold, at gun point, while offshore. Upon reaching the dock he said “Mutiny!”, they said “Crazy!” and it just kind of fizzled out.

So what are the options in a case as xtracho describes? Flogging? Bread and water?
Confined to quarters? A good ol’ ass whuppin’? Stop the operations and head for the dock to throw the bastard off?

There was a time when I would have asked you why you didn’t make your Mate (uh, 2nd captain) follow the rules and behave. But I’ve learned some things over the last year.

This second captain crap, however, is just that. Crap. I know it is common down there in the GOM and there are some harbor tugs up here in the PNW that have 1st / 2nd Captains, but it is still crap. The 2nd Captain is a Mate, plain and simple. There is only one Captain as far as the USCG is concerned. If you were the actual Master of the vessel and your Mate (uh, 2nd captain) wasn’t following policy, then you did the right thing by taking it to the office. What they chose to do with it from there was obviously surprising, but it was out of your hands.

It is never wrong to do the right thing. It certainly won’t make you popular in some circles.

Well there might be a job opeing in my company:D…i just tore the wheels up and bent the rudders on the entrance to bayou shaffer…my depth sounder stoped working 24 hrs earlier…i generally use that to navagate around here…the atchafalaya river…the sand bars shift yearly and noaa does not keep up very well…so i decided to use the track in the gps…wrong decision…NEVER DEPEND ON SOMEONE ELSE WORK!!! …so wait a couple of weeks and and i’ll see if im RUNDOFT…regardless we had the boat fixed in less than 24 hrs and did not miss a run!!!
<input id=“gwProxy” type=“hidden”><!–Session data–><input onclick=“jsCall();” id=“jsProxy” type=“hidden”><input id=“gwProxy” type=“hidden”><!–Session data–><input onclick=“jsCall();” id=“jsProxy” type=“hidden”>

I just feel like there is more to the story that what is being told. There are some implications that there was a personal issue between both of you. I can not comment or be too critical, but it seems you have an answer for everything. There just has to be more to the story.