Mariner Pay 2023

What’s the pay like?

Some OSV companies are hiring 3rd Mates with zero experience and no DP @ $650/day and higher (Hornbeck). Opinion wise - As a young grad… I would stay on tugboats until I got all my trips for Recency and a completed TOAR, then jump to OSV’s and get an Unlimited DPO and work my way up the Chief Mate route. You’ll be set for the booms in the Gulf and when a downturn hits, you can jump back to tugboats and maintain a relative level of income.

3 Likes

Great suggestion. Exactly the route I’ve taken. Nice knowing I have that master of towing and a PIC to fall back on at any time.

1 Like

Nah, hornbeck is currently $500 a day for a green third mate. $550 with your full DP cert. However they may hire you as a “training mate” first and start you at $410 a day until you complete a sign off package. I can’t speak on the day rates of other GOM companies.

1 Like

Pretty sure your info is antiquated from the downturn, as I’m on a Hornbeck vessel currently. My info is correct and the sign off packet, there’s only $10 difference in pay once completed. The info I quoted above is correct and I forgot to mention the quarterly safety bonus is sweet also.

I made over 400 a day as a 2nd cook on a Great Lakes freighter.

Orange boats:
1k master
850 CM
650 Mate(w/ DP basic 500 without)
CE 1K
AE 850
AB 350-375
QMED 375
OS 250-275
Wiper 250-275

That’s a negative. I’m 100 percent sure that third mates at hornbeck are $500 a day before full DP certification and $550 after.

The quarterly safety bonus is $500 dollars for third mates. I’m not sure how it pays out for other rates.

I have heard the 650 numbers thrown around for mates at ECO and tidewater, but I can’t attest to it.

Thats for all junior officers deck and engine. 1st/chief and chief mate/master get the 10% if i recall correctly. Now thats some nice incentive. One of the biggest reasons they do the whole 3rd/2nd engineer/mate BS.

I believe that’s correct. I have heard the 10 percent number thrown around by higher level officers. Not too shabby.

How do you keep your recency for all those?

Thank you for straight forward info.

1 Like

For PIC you just retake the course. You don’t need to do anything special to renew MoT.

I believe it’s pretty competitive for EC operator. 450-550ish range would be my best guess at it. Good benefits too and all equal time…

Please contact Cid Arceneaux (spelling??) or Sean Leblanc (Hornbeck Offshore Recruiters) for verifiable info on pay, schedule, benefits and bonuses. Currently they are looking for 3rd Mates with basic DP for their MPSV fleet with a 3 weeks on/off rotation.
Phone: (985) 727-6935
recruiting@hornbeckoffshore.com

Need two loads and discharges over 5 years which OSV transfers count as long as it’s petroleum based, I don’t think anything special is needed for MOT but I do work on company tugs as well.

I wouldn’t be so broad about that. The product has to go from cargo tank to cargo tank to classify.

2 Likes

As opposed to where? In the water?

1 Like

Most OSV transfers don’t count towards a PIC. For example, bringing out diesel and pumping it to a rig doesn’t count, because that’s bunkering, and not cargo. Same reason that engineers don’t get credit for bunkering a ship.

2 Likes

Interesting. I used fuel transfers to a rig for most of my discharges when I first got my PIC, and then it was even harder for them to count OSV transfers because it wasn’t officially on the USCG checklist for PIC. I need to look at the CFR