Marine pumps - centrifugal, gear, screw, etc

Hello, everyone,

I am a new number of gcaptain.
With more than 5 years of experince in marine pumps, I hope to provide some useful help for you in this area.
I am familiar with nearly all kinds of marine pump, such as centrifugal, gear, screw… for ballast, bilge, fire, cooling, oil transfer and so on…
Just contact me freely, I am glad to provide some suggestions or advice.

Edward

1 Like

can I list my signature here?
:slight_smile:

Welcome edward.Before anyone can call on you, we will need to have you vetted by our resident chief. PM cajaya to start the process.
Pssst. Just kidding.

Do your pumps run on batteries?

hey you need her permission to use her name in a post

I have a chief osv license, but it does not cover where I work. So, I am just an engineer. Please stop bringing my name into every little thing. If mentioning basic things that are a baseline of what engineers in our industry, that most ship engineers do know, and are expected to know, makes me some kind of know it all, then that is sad…

Anyone who has worked on ships would know… those are the basics.

Now please get on with it. You may call me supercheng if you like. It wouldn’t be that hard for anyone to be a supercheng on an osv that had the smallest unlimited license, and that is why it is more of an endorsement…

If mentioning basic things that are a baseline of what engineers in our industry, that most ship engineers do know, and are expected to know, makes me some kind of know it all, then that is sad…

Indeed it is.

WTF? The “smallest unlimited license” for an engineer defines that capacity as an “assistant” … not a chief of anything. The holder of a 3rd Assistant might be miles ahead of an OSV “supercheng” in knowledge and experience but anyone holding just a 3rd’s ticket is an assistant, not a chief.

[QUOTE=cajaya;175352]I have a chief osv license, but it does not cover where I work now. So, I am just an engineer. Please stop bringing my name into every little thing. If mentioning basic things that are a baseline of what engineers in our industry, that most ship engineers do know, and are expected to know, makes me some kind of know it all, then that is sad… [/QUOTE]

You’re right. All that doesn’t show you as a know it all. What does, is you thinking your deep sea experience is the be all end all, and generalizing most if not all workboat engineers in the negatively biased light you do. Supercheng is a name you have earned with the egotistical tour DE force you’ve chiefed here.
Speaking of pumps…I can’t get a suction on the forepeak over here. Can anyone tell me how to tell if I have air in the line?

[QUOTE=cajaya;175352]Please stop bringing my name into every little thing.[/QUOTE]

you my lady, obviously have a very thin skin and lack any perception…you have become by your own words here the most derided and repugnant member of this forum yet you also seem to be oblivious to that fact.

either you get used to being the favored whipping girl here or start taking actions to repair your reputation which you could start by writing a statement of contrition telling us that you realize now that you have posted words which are inflammatory and inharmonious to discourse in this forum.

best get started…

[QUOTE=Steamer;175370]

WTF? The “smallest unlimited license” for an engineer defines that capacity as an “assistant” … not a chief of anything. The holder of a 3rd Assistant might be miles ahead of an OSV “supercheng” in knowledge and experience but anyone holding just a 3rd’s ticket is an assistant, not a chief.[/QUOTE]
It is given out as an endorsement to those seeking 3rd A/E/DDE unlimited who are not academy grads. The logic is academy grads need more real life experience first, before they can be in charge of an entire engine plant, even a small one.

[QUOTE=c.captain;175382] you have posted words which are inflammatory and inharmonious to discourse in this forum.
[/QUOTE]
Wow! Look whose talking!

I do find it hard to believe that an entire industry could be that way. There would have to be way more accidents.
It may have just been my personal experience.

Although, you are not one to speak on the subject of being “inflammatory”.

[QUOTE=c.captain;175382]

best get started…[/QUOTE]
ha!

A 3rd A/E is still just an assistant, not a chief.

A DDE unlimited is still a lower level license, it is not an unlimited tonnage license. That is one of the “basic things that are a baseline of what engineers in our industry, that most ship engineers do know, and are expected to know.”

The logic is academy grads need more real life experience first, before they can be in charge of an entire engine plant, even a small one.

A “supercheng” should know the sea service requirements for any license or endorsement they are pursuing or advising other mariners about. Ref. the NMC document ?Crediting Sea Service."

[I]"Academy Graduates: Designated Duty Engineer (Unlimited). Since persons serving under a DDE Unlimited license may be the sole engineer on board a vessel, hands-on experience as a DDE-Limited Engineer is an important supplement to their onshore training. When applying for an endorsement as designated duty engineer (DDE) -Unlimited HP (more than 4000 hp/ 3000 kW), they may be allowed, for the purpose of evaluation only, to present a written recommendation on company letterhead after six months sea service in a licensed capacity and be granted this endorsement without further examination.

NOTE: Academy graduates who are applying for DDE Unlimited (and do not hold DDE Limited) will need to meet all service requirements and must successfully complete testing requirements for DDE Unlimited"[/I]

[QUOTE=Steamer;175409][I]"Academy Graduates: Designated Duty Engineer (Unlimited). Since persons serving under a DDE Unlimited license may be the sole engineer on board a vessel, hands-on experience as a DDE-Limited Engineer is an important supplement to their onshore training. When applying for an endorsement as designated duty engineer (DDE) -Unlimited HP (more than 4000 hp/ 3000 kW), they may be allowed, for the purpose of evaluation only, to present a written recommendation on company letterhead after six months sea service in a licensed capacity and be granted this endorsement without further examination.

NOTE: Academy graduates who are applying for DDE Unlimited (and do not hold DDE Limited) will need to meet all service requirements and must successfully complete testing requirements for DDE Unlimited"[/I][/QUOTE]

Isn’t that what I said? If you want all the fancy CG jargon, ask jdcavo…

No, you said:

It is given out as an endorsement to those seeking 3rd A/E/DDE unlimited who are not academy grads. The logic is academy grads need more real life experience first, before they can be in charge of an entire engine plant, even a small one.

Your own words speak more plainly about the quality of your “contributions” (and I use the term with some hesitation) than anything I am willing to post.

OMG…are you a complete and utter moron? Life experience meaning work experience you nimrod. What the hell do you think the “6 months of sea service” is?

I don’t work for the CG. It is not my job to quote CFR’s and policy letters word for word.

If you couldn’t tell from the context of the sentence that that was I meant you must CLEARLY have some type of learning disability…

Please just go away, this is just completely petty and childish.

Your words are pefectly clear though obviously completely wrong.

The logic is academy grads need more real life experience first, before they can be in charge of an entire engine plant, even a small one.

“When an academy graduate can demonstrate that industry specific training has been provided prior to graduation, an endorsement for designated duty engineer (DDE) -Limited-4000 hp (3000 kW) may be applied for, and added to a third assistant engineer license, without further testing.”

And just for your benefit … that life experience may only amount to 60 days and most of us here think that 4000hp/3000kW counts as “even a small one” as engines go.

Don’t get your knickers in a twist over what I write, get your shit together before you post more of your nonsense.

You are out of your league here kid … lay low and listen for a while before making a bigger fool of yourself.

. . . . . articulate. . . . as in ATB, maybe?

Yes scare away the new people.

[QUOTE=Steamer;175370]
WTF? The “smallest unlimited license” for an engineer defines that capacity as an “assistant” … not a chief of anything. The holder of a 3rd Assistant might be miles ahead of an OSV “supercheng” in knowledge and experience but anyone holding just a 3rd’s ticket is an assistant, not a chief.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Steamer;175413]A DDE unlimited is still a lower level license, it is not an unlimited tonnage license.

Your own words speak more plainly about the quality of your “contributions” (and I use the term with some hesitation) than anything I am willing to post.

get your shit together before you post more of your nonsense.

You are out of your league here kid … lay low and listen for a while before making a bigger fool of yourself.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Steamer;175418]

“When an academy graduate can demonstrate that industry specific training has been provided prior to graduation, an endorsement for designated duty engineer (DDE) -Limited-4000 hp (3000 kW) may be applied for, and added to a third assistant engineer license, without further testing.”

[/QUOTE]

Well, I must say. I can tell you certainly are NO impostor, unlike like cmakin. You DEFINITELY ARE a tried and TRUE marine engineer in every respect if I ever saw one.

Let me guess…English or reading COMPREHENSION was not your best subject at the academy? You were probably better at THERMODYNAMICS but couldn’t write a term paper to save your life…

Oh wait, I see…a vocational track CMES graduate. Well…that explains A LOT. They produced fine engineers CMES did…and everybody knows that…some of the best. But I guess you are ONE that never bothered to learn to READ English!!
[I]
"[B]When an academy graduate can[/B] demonstrate that industry specific training has been provided prior to graduation, an endorsement for designated duty engineer (DDE)…may be applied for"[/I]

The words “[B][I]when[/I][/B]” and [I]“can demonstrate that industry specific training has been provided” [/I]implies that there is a [B]RULE[/B] and an [B]ACCEPTION[/B] to the rule you moron.

>>>>>>[I]Being a graduate [U]PLUS[/U][/I] industry specific training, as apposed to [I][U]JUST [/U][/I] being a run of the mill graduate. <<<<<<<<

I can’t believe, I have to explain this. If you still need some hand holding to understand the context of my original comment on the matter…this is directly from the Chief OSV checklist:
[I]

Option 4:
Service Requirements for Original C/E OSV AND DDE
simultaneously:
Must meet all DDE requirements. Upon completion of
DDE examinations a C/E OSV may be issued in conjunction with the
DDE
[/I]
[B]Encase you didn’t know, a person that qualifies for 3rd A/E Unlimited, also qualifies for DDE Unlimited, which means they qualify for Chief Engineer OSV.[/B] If you really want to get nit picky about it, that is for people who started service [U]before March 24th, 2014[/U].

I am not formally edumacated myself, however I speak a few languages, two of them being Latin based, and I can read language pretty DAMN well!
However, I still don’t think you have an excuse for not understanding something as BASIC such as this.

Being an engineer, clearly you have studied LOGIC gates???

…or maybe it could it be that you are just an idiot?

Man what a long day. I finally got the pump to prime…had to get some tips from the port engineer via satellite phone. That’s gonna be an expensive phone bill!
So I opened up the forepeak hatch and she’s still pressed. After further research there is this chingadara called a reach rod thats connected to a valve I had to open! Who would’ve thunk it?
So my next mystery tomorrow that I get to tackle after my jerry springer hour is, where in the hell did that water I pumped out today come from if it wasn’t from the forepeak, and why does the paint on the volute of the pump keep turnin black??