Engine room sealetter

Good day to everyone,I have been working on a Oil spill response/Anchor handling/Ocean going tow boat for the past 4 years.My captain would like me to get my engineers license and told me he would be more than happy to help me out and sign me off.Does anyone have a sample letter he could use to give him an idea how to write it showing i have been in a supervisory position so i can skip the Qmed school.I dont want to lose all my seatime and have to wait another 2 years for my license.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
sincerly
Steve

what is your current position on your boat?

It would be easier to have your company provide the sea letter, but your captain can do for you the character reference. For the DDE licenses, you don’t have to be a qmed. If you can document time that you stood your own ER watch or you were the sole engineer on board, even being unlicensed, that would suffice.

Make sure they document in-port work days, too…you get credit for x number per year (I think 180) if you’re an engineer. Not sure about deck.

I have some example letter but need to redact personal info on it. I may post it later.

i thought the port days only count if you’re in a supervisory position, such as port engineer or shipyard superintendent, and not allowed on an original, only upgrades and renewals?

[QUOTE=snacktray;158111]i thought the port days only count if you’re in a supervisory position, such as port engineer or shipyard superintendent, and not allowed on an original, only upgrades and renewals?[/QUOTE]

That’s a one time thing, which you can only use for a raise of grade, not an original license. I’m looking for the other thing.

I get credited for my working in port days…just can’t find the citation. Maybe Mr. Cavo will happen along…

[QUOTE=catherder;158116]That’s a one time thing, which you can only use for a raise of grade, not an original license. I’m looking for the other thing.

I get credited for my working in port days…just can’t find the citation. Maybe Mr. Cavo will happen along…[/QUOTE]

Try this http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/regulations/policy/09-01.pdf

[QUOTE=injunear;158124]Try this http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/regulations/policy/09-01.pdf[/QUOTE]

I can’t get it to open up. Must be my browser. Strange.

Your letter will need to say that you worked X number of days as an unlicensed engineer in charge of the engine room.

Merely standing your own watch will not get you time in a supervisory position. You will need to be “in charge”.

[QUOTE=txwooley;158159]Your letter will need to say that you worked X number of days as an unlicensed engineer in charge of the engine room.

Merely standing your own watch will not get you time in a supervisory position. You will need to be “in charge”.[/QUOTE]

You don’t need time in a supervisory position. The recent rule change removed all instances of the term “supervisory” and those instances where it was used now read “…experience as QMED or an equivalent position.” See 46 CFR 11.516(a)(1); 11.522(a), and 11.524(b).

This notwithstanding, any knowledgeable evaluator is going to be extrremely skeptical of a letter styating that an an unlicensed person was “in charge” of an engine room on a commercial vessel that is required to carry licensed engineers.