Marine pumps - centrifugal, gear, screw, etc

[QUOTE=cajaya;175430]…or maybe it could it be that you are just an idiot?[/QUOTE]

I swear to God that every thread you touch becomes defiled with festering filth and corruption! Why can you not STFU?

for the love of all that is Holy…would you do all of humanity a great favor and just DROP DEAD already?

you are nothing other than a PHUCKING PSYCHOBITCH and I literally cannot take you stinking this place up anymore.

Let’s send a clear message to our forum masters…please thank me here if you want John or Mike to [B][U]BAN THE BITCH![/U][/B]

[QUOTE=Ctony;175441]Man what a long day. I finally got the pump to prime…had to get some tips from the port engineer via satellite phone. That’s gonna be an expensive phone bill!
So I opened up the forepeak hatch and she’s still pressed. After further research there is this chingadara called a reach rod thats connected to a valve I had to open! Who would’ve thunk it?
So my next mystery tomorrow that I get to tackle after my jerry springer hour is, where in the hell did that water I pumped out today come from if it wasn’t from the forepeak, and why does the paint on the volute of the pump keep turnin black??[/QUOTE]
You are going to have to ask the pump guy who started this thread. I am no pump expert but I believe the paint turning black means it’s hot.

• Updated - - -

How about banning c.captain? Thank me here…

[QUOTE=c.captain;175443]
Let’s send a clear message to our forum masters…[/QUOTE}
All that would do is affirm that the maritime industry, including his website is just a really sexist place.

[QUOTE=c.captain;175443]

Let’s send a clear message to our forum masters[/QUOTE]

All that would do is affirm that the maritime industry, including this
website is really just a sexist place.

you’re so wrong, we like women quite a bit but loathe PSYCHO-BITCH FEMINAZIS!

Catherder is all aces but you are nothing more a one eyed SHEMALE joker…

still waiting for you to DIE!

She never revealed that she was a woman untill she gained people’s acceptance.

[QUOTE=cajaya;175445]

How about banning c.captain? Thank me here…[/QUOTE]

I don’t know if you can here me over the deafening sound of crickets, but I suspect only your new found compadre knothead is going to answer that call. I may be wrong.
I think banning anyone is a bit severe. Maybe if we could place a 30 micron filter minimum? That way the 10% of bullshit that isn’t offensive can pass through.
Now, back to the salt mines. I gotta close out the daily logs. Kinda confused with this one column that says overhaul hours. That have something to do with moving? Like u-haul?

[QUOTE=c.captain;175443]I swear to God that every thread you touch becomes defiled with festering filth and corruption! …[/QUOTE]

Hmmmmmm. An interesting thought.

[QUOTE=+A465B;175455]Hmmmmmm. An interesting thought.[/QUOTE]

instead of thinking about it why not take action…I need a good man to volunteer to clean out that viper’s nest…if you succeed, you’ll win praise and adulation from all your fellows here.

good man, I knew I could count on you!

Well shit…

I just came here to try to learn something about marine pumps - centrifugal, gear, screw, ect…:confused:

[QUOTE=cajaya;175445]You are going to have to ask the pump guy who started this thread. I am no pump expert but I believe the paint turning black means it’s hot.

[/QUOTE]

Didn’t need the word “pump”. . . not an engineer, indeed. . . . I can guarantee that my license was in a rack before you were born. . .or hatched. . .

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=cajaya;175451]She never revealed that she was a woman untill she gained people’s acceptance.[/QUOTE]

I beg to differ. She most certainly never hid the fact. . .

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Colston1285;175461]Well shit…

I just came here to try to learn something about marine pumps - centrifugal, gear, screw, ect…:confused:[/QUOTE]

Well, THAT was a mistake. . .

[QUOTE=Ctony;175453]I don’t know if you can here me over the deafening sound of crickets, but I suspect only your new found compadre knothead is going to answer that call. I may be wrong.
I think banning anyone is a bit severe. Maybe if we could place a 30 micron filter minimum? That way the 10% of bullshit that isn’t offensive can pass through.
Now, back to the salt mines. I gotta close out the daily logs. Kinda confused with this one column that says overhaul hours. That have something to do with moving? Like u-haul?[/QUOTE]
OK. You obviously need help here. Overhaul hours are how many hours you worked on the engine outside of your normal hours. Kind of like overtime hours, but while hauling a load.

The forepeak, pump and reachrod fiasco is fairly minor. Don’t worry about where the water came from while the reachrod was closed since obviously whatever compartment it came from needed pumping out anyway. As cajaya pointed out, the pumps tend to turn black when run for prolonged periods with a closed valve (such as a reachrod). This can easily be remedied be having the oiler spray the pump housing with a garden hose for the duration of pumping operations. If an oiler and/or water hose is not readily available then you could simply paint the pump housing black and there would be no color change.

Good luck with your ballasting operations and E/R logs. Be sure to let me know of anything else I can help you with.

3rd engineer is usually responsible for the auxiliary equipment on board vessels, such as pump, compressor, oil separator, and so on.
2nd engineer, mainly for the diesel generator
1st engineer, mainly for main diesel engine.
Chief is for all engineering department.
:slight_smile:

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=MickAK;175316]Do your pumps run on batteries?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, all of our pump is powered by electrical motor or diesel engine.

[QUOTE=Edward.Drg;176700]3rd engineer is usually responsible for the auxiliary equipment on board vessels, such as pump, compressor, oil separator, and so on.
2nd engineer, mainly for the diesel generator
1st engineer, mainly for main diesel engine.
Chief is for all engineering department.
:slight_smile:

• Updated - - -

Sorry, all of our pump is powered by electrical motor or diesel engine.[/QUOTE]

I guess I am too old. . . . I remember when the two watchstanding and day 3rds were the auxiliary guys, 2nd was responsible for the boilers, i.e. water treatment, blowing tubes, etc. . . the 1st was the whip and lead day worker with the Chief in overall control. . . of course if the engine department was that large. . . but I have sailed where there was a watchstanding 2nd AND 3rd on each watch, two day 3rds, with the 1st the lead day worker and the Chief in overall control. In one case, the Chief could just about always be found down below during the day.

Omg how did I miss this thread in real time? This was a fantastic display of how to discuss pump operations onboard ships. I felt like I was in the control room as this was happening. Take a bow everyone :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Very sad. Could have been an interesting thread. As I read in the forum El Faro had problems with oil supply pressure to the turbine. That much to the importance of pumps. Many, many years ago we in the engine room received a written order from the Chief officer like pump ballast from A to B. Engine staff opened the valves, started the pump and waited until the AB on deck made his soundings and the matter was closed. Engine staff had all means to verify that pumps suction and delivery was o.k. Deck had to verify the fillings. Nowadays the C/O in the ships office or bridge clicks his monitor, remotely opens the necessary valves and clicks a button on the screen for the pump to start. If he is lucky, everything runs fine because a lot of other things are to be done by him in the meantime. He is even doing a change of ships complete ballast at sea as required by the new laws in his watch at sea. Nobody cares, nobody feels the pump casing, nobody watches the gauges which are remotely showing some pressure but are often clogged with salt in their tiny copper pipes… And if there are problems - he calls the duty engineer.

Are you kidding? This was a very interesting thread and I hate I missed it in real time. I had so much I could have contributed.

Me too.

gawd I hate this new format! but I had to respond to Cmakin saying the paint turning black could possibly, maybe be a hot pump.!!!
I should think most old salts on the eng. forum have few questions about pumps. buy hey!.. i’m so old now that ‘experienced’ may have a new meaning?

Hmmm, and now I can’t remember the question. . .oh, never mind. . .