Marine mechanic

i have a class 4 motor engineers ticket but i trying to find a shore based job. Everybody posting jobs is looking for a qualified marine mechanic or a journeyman. They wont even consider a marine engineer. Can anybody tell me how i can cross over and get a mechanics ticket without going through the apprenticeship program. I have about 10 yrs experience as an engineer, surely that counts for something.

Are/were you Licensed?

Most marine engine service companies are going to be manufacture specific with the exception of the few fly by night guys or some remote shops that will do multiple manufactures. In my experience these shops will be generally very open to bringing on a experienced vessel engineer and provide plenty of in house training. Rolls Royce, Caterpiller/MAK, Wartsilla etc. If you have a lot of expieirance with a particular brand I would start with the local service center for that brand. The downside is the guys I know who work there usually spend as much or more time away from home than guys who sail at a fraction of the pay.

[QUOTE=TSCOTT;133604]Most marine engine service companies are going to be manufacture specific with the exception of the few fly by night guys or some remote shops that will do multiple manufactures. In my experience these shops will be generally very open to bringing on a experienced vessel engineer and provide plenty of in house training. Rolls Royce, Caterpiller/MAK, Wartsilla etc. If you have a lot of expieirance with a particular brand I would start with the local service center for that brand. The downside is the guys I know who work there usually spend as much or more time away from home than guys who sail at a fraction of the pay.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Try updating your CV. Everyone is looking for marine engineers. Shore and at sea. And the post above is exactly correct.