Making a prediction on Brazil

They do not have the work ethic, engineering and management skills to be a world class (or even 2nd tier) shipbuilder. I do not see them ever building their own drillships without importing management, engineering and labor to do it which pretty much eliminates any reason to try.

[U][B]Brazilian Shipbuilder Plagued by Strikes and Financial Issues Requests Help from Samsung Heavy

[/B][/U]SEOUL (Dow Jones)–Samsung Heavy Industries Co. (010140.SE), the world’s second-largest shipbuilder by sales, said Wednesday it is considering a request for help from Brazilian shipbuilder Estaleiro AtlanticoSul, or EAS.

“We are giving the request serious consideration but have not reached any decision yet,” company spokesman Hwang In-chan said by telephone.
According to a report Wednesday in the Maeil Business Newspaper, EAS recently missed delivery deadlines for 18 of 22 vessels as a result of a strike and the continuing euro-zone crisis.

EAS was not immediately reachable.

The EAS shipyard in Suape, in the south of the country, was completed by the Brazil government in 2005. Samsung Heavy has since offered technical support to the yard, Hwang said.

Samsung Heavy, which paid $22 million for a 10% stake in EAS in 2008, now holds 6%, he added.

Recommendation to Petrobras…just go to Korea like everyone else.

as a previous sea trial captain at samsung, nice to hear they are looking to get help from samsung,

If the Brazilian shipbuilders would invest in the planning and infrastructure that the Koreans have it would certainly improve things for them. BUT, the key to the Korean shipyards are the Korean workers, their discipline and education level. It takes YEARS to develop workers like the Koreans have and Brazil simply does not have the culture or educational system to even remotely duplicate the Korean system.
I wish them luck though.

[QUOTE=tengineer;64498]If the Brazilian shipbuilders would invest in the planning and infrastructure that the Koreans have it would certainly improve things for them. BUT, the key to the Korean shipyards are the Korean workers, their discipline and education level. It takes YEARS to develop workers like the Koreans have and Brazil simply does not have the culture or educational system to even remotely duplicate the Korean system.
I wish them luck though.[/QUOTE]

I agree completely tengineer. I have been to Samsung shipyard, and I have traveled to many cities in Brasil.
Brasil has some heavy industry, but mostly Automotive.

Past president Lula wanted to make clear that he would not squander the countries resources, and invest heavily in education and training so they would be less reliant on outsourcing.
Thats all good, and it may pay off in the future, but in my opinion, the work ethic, educational, and technical training the Koreans have is simply amazing.

We can see this from their shipyards, automotive and electronics industry. They have the advantage of shipbuilding materials and fittings from nearby China.

I have seen little to no corruption, buracracy, strikes or anything else that slows the industry in Korea. They wear their uniforms in the shipyard proudly, pride in productivity, and have strict safety standards. We can see it has paid off for them in a big way.

I have not been to a shipyard in Brasil, but I have worked with many Brasilians on a ship. Some guys are great and have great work ethic, but many would rather make their living another way.
It being socially acceptable to be a couple hours late for work or “Never do today what you can do tomorrow” attitude is going to hurt them.

Many Latin American countries have enormous natural resources, It is sometimes said of many counties “A poor man sitting on a king’s throne”. I hope that changes. I wish the best for my amigos in Brasil.

As stated on Brasil’s flag, “ORDEM E PROGRESSO” (ORDER AND PROGRESS). I view this as “crunch time” for Brasil. I hope they can live up to their motto.

Maybe shipbuilding may not be their gig, but I sincerely wish them “Boa Sorte!” (Good Luck)!

[/QUOTE]Recommendation to Petrobras…just go to Korea like everyone else.[/QUOTE]

FYI, Petrobras contracted drillship newbuilds are all being built anywhere they possibly can. I was on a Samsung built drillship newbuild which was built specifically for Petrobras.
Understandably, they would prefer to buy Brasilian.

[QUOTE=c.captain;64479]Recommendation to Petrobras…just go to Korea like everyone else.[/QUOTE]

FYI, Petrobras contracted drillship newbuilds are all being built anywhere they possibly can. I was on a Samsung built drillship newbuild which was built specifically for Petrobras.
Understandably, they would prefer to buy Brasilian.