Macallister pay

Anybody know what MacAllister pays engineers in Philly?

[QUOTE=yeahoner;142705]Anybody know what MacAllister pays engineers in Philly?[/QUOTE]

Couple days ago I got an email about that.

Unlicensed engineers 280 a day. Licensed engineers 300 a day. If you have STCW 5 bucks more a day. 14 dollars a day for grub pay and no paid travel. 14/14 schedule.

Not bad if you were unlicensed and lived in driving distance. Not great either.

Ouch, no surprise they are having trouble filling that spot. I made more as an unlicensed assistant.

Only $20 difference between licensed and unlicensed? That’s crazy.

McAllister NYC reportedly offering $375 for unlicensed assistant engineers.

I have never known Mac to have asst engineers.

When the job doesn’t require a license there very little incentive to reward those who have one.

[QUOTE=z-drive;142766]When the job doesn’t require a license there very little incentive to reward those who have one.[/QUOTE]

True…but if specs on their website are correct, they have some vessels that would require a licensed chief.

[QUOTE=Ctony;142781]True…but if specs on their website are correct, they have some vessels that would require a licensed chief.[/QUOTE]

I looked at their Fleet list and do not see anything that would “Require” Licensed Engineers. Now, I think they all should have Licensed Engineers but most N.Y. Companies do not think that way.

[QUOTE=Tugs;142795]I looked at their Fleet list and do not see anything that would “Require” Licensed Engineers. Now, I think they all should have Licensed Engineers but most N.Y. Companies do not think that way.[/QUOTE]

Over 200 GT doesn’t require a licensed engineer?

Not unless they go coastwise

$375 for chief at a union tugboat company?

Our unlicensed chief gets $500 a day plus fully paid travel door to door. We don’t have a food budget; we buy whatever we want and eat very well. We are am average paying company. These are among the benefits of being nonunion. What the employer does not have to put up with in union bullshit he can afford to share with us

Mcallister is non-union, the only place they are is San Juan, IIRC. Definitely not anywhere else that I’m aware of.

Mcallister NY usually has a “rate” but guys who have been there for a little while often to quite better than the “rate.” Not the same as 333 scale which is ABOUT $525-610 a day for engineer but comparable. Mcallister often has had a better benefits and 401k deal than 333 outfits too, from my memory. That’s probably a harbor boat rate, guys towing outside and doing oil usually will be making more too.

Also for those Philly guys they usually live nearby and the perk for the low pay is that they can go home when there’s nothing going on.

[QUOTE=z-drive;142917]Mcallister is non-union, the only place they are is San Juan, IIRC. Definitely not anywhere else that I’m aware of.

Mcallister NY usually has a “rate” but guys who have been there for a little while often to quite better than the “rate.” Not the same as 333 scale which is ABOUT $525-610 a day for engineer but comparable. Mcallister often has had a better benefits and 401k deal than 333 outfits too, from my memory. That’s probably a harbor boat rate, guys towing outside and doing oil usually will be making more too.

Also for those Philly guys they usually live nearby and the perk for the low pay is that they can go home when there’s nothing going on.[/QUOTE]

From what I’ve gathered a DDE 4000 can easily find around 500 a day on tugs, correct? the 525-610 you referred to is that for a bigger license, or is that range pretty much the norm? I was thinking companies would pay more to a chief limited/unlimited or am I wrong?

Not sure, they (legal or not) usually just want a license, only the higher end companies start worrying about horsepower. My engineer on a >4000 hp boat does have a chief limited rather than a DDE but the company really doesn’t care as long as there’s a license…hate to say it though.

I’d say $500 a day should be the benchmark for a limited chief on a tug, you oilfield guys are in a whole different situation dealing with variable frequency drives and all kinds of automation! But remember there are non-cash perks to working for a lower paying outfit if its close to home or you only have two 8-cyl EMD’s and jimmy 99kw gensets to watch.

West Coast chiefs are 500-600

500 is the super low end. An assistant @ the red navy claimed 475 a day. We are 50-50 licensed here. This boat is over 200, and not a cookie cutter model bow boat, a handful by yourself sometimes. Ive started testing the water for a new job come spring and engineers with paperwork and experience have no trouble finding work.

1 Like

Join McAllister but you won’t stay long. Third-rate outfit and beware of the General Manager, Steve K, bearing Hot-Dog cook-outs on Wednesday’s. Third-rate manager who got his position by first-class ass-kissing.

What happened to the “Barbara Mcallister” or the ex-bouchard boys ? I havent seen it but I guess they hit a bridge ? Wheelhouse is bent backwards ?

The AK Bridge happened!