LORAN Card?

Hi Folks,
It looks like I left the one loran card that I had in Seattle. I’ve been searching the web for an image that I could print with no luck. Can anyone point me to one - or scan one that I could download & print? Shoot me a PM if you can help.
Thanks in advance!
MTSKIER

Thanks everyone! Got one.

You’re still using Loran-C?

I preferred using my 10-point dividers… but only because I got them as a gift. A bit expensive to buy on your own.

We were taught to just use the subdivisions on the hypotenuse of the nav triangles. Just angle it so that the 0 and 1 are on the lines and you’ll have it divided up into ten.

You were also probably taught to use HO-229 but he air almanac is much simpler to use. The fundamentals are important but it’s also important to find new ways of performing tasks after graduation.

Ahh, you bring back fond memories. LORAN interpolater cards rock!

I found my old work folder from the early '70s a while back. Most of the work was using HO 214. Some 249. I still have a picket fence lane divider given to me by a Lorac operator.

I still have my Loran card next to my Radar plotting ruler. Two things I have never used since I got out of school in 98 save on USCG exams.

That just shows how young you are! :slight_smile:

When I was sailing in the Coast Guard in the 80’s I used mine all the time.

The sad thing is that I’m “young” and have nearly 11 years at sea now. We actually have a LORAN box on our bridge but the antenna rotted off and we can’t convince the company to get us a new one. The thinking is that we don’t need it with GPS. Now that they are talking about shutting down LORAN, I don’t think we’ll ever get our antenna.

Fortunately I do keep that sextant in good shape and practice with it every chance I get.

JCA

Could you tell me if you were able to find a Loran Card to download online. And if so where. I’ve also been looking but to no avail.

Hi Cap’,
Shoot me a note w/ your email address and I will send you a scanned card.
MTSKIER

Though this post is a year old now, thought I would still share this funny tidbit. I work in the Marine Chart Division at NOAA and since we are in the process now of removing all of the Loran overlays off of the charts, they have also been giving out the LORAN interpolater cards to all of us. So now we all have one for nostalgic purposes I guess. Just the other day I found another stash of them…[B]nearly 300 of them![/B] Loran is all but a memory now…

[QUOTE=cartographer;30260]Though this post is a year old now, thought I would still share this funny tidbit. I work in the Marine Chart Division at NOAA and since we are in the process now of removing all of the Loran overlays off of the charts, they have also been giving out the LORAN interpolater cards to all of us. So now we all have one for nostalgic purposes I guess. Just the other day I found another stash of them…[B]nearly 300 of them![/B] Loran is all but a memory now…[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the forum.

Interesting indeeed. So what is the career path for a cartographer? I don’t think I’m alone in wishing I knew more about what you guys do.

[QUOTE=cartographer;30260]![/B] Loran is all but a memory now…[/QUOTE]

Thats good to know, because in E nav class last week it was still very much alive…I wonder how long it will remain on the tests…

might want to consider “challenging” any loran c question encountered during testing…probably will be the only way to motivate the NMC to remove them from the testing data base??

[QUOTE=cartographer;30260]Though this post is a year old now, thought I would still share this funny tidbit. I work in the Marine Chart Division at NOAA and since we are in the process now of removing all of the Loran overlays off of the charts, they have also been giving out the LORAN interpolater cards to all of us. So now we all have one for nostalgic purposes I guess. Just the other day I found another stash of them…[B]nearly 300 of them![/B] Loran is all but a memory now…[/QUOTE]

I would LOVE to get my hands on some of those!

[QUOTE=seadawg;30381]might want to consider “challenging” any loran c question encountered during testing…probably will be the only way to motivate the NMC to remove them from the testing data base??[/QUOTE]

Maybe later, I committed the damn questions and answers to memory already!

[QUOTE=domer;30264]Interesting indeeed. So what is the career path for a cartographer? I don’t think I’m alone in wishing I knew more about what you guys do.[/QUOTE]

I second that emotion! Sounds like an interesting career path.