Radar renewal self study questions / materials?

Hi all,

First post and I’m hoping someone here can give me a lead or two. I’m due to renew my USCG Radar Observer certificate and would like to just sit for the test rather than sit though the course again. I’m just a bit rusty on Radar plotting and MO boards. I searched the internet a bit but was disappointed that I didn’t really find much in the way of self study materials. What would be ideal would be some example problems to solve that I can practice with. Anyone have any leads?

You have to take a radar observer renewal course.

Heres what I used… it helped…

http://www.crawfordnautical.com/images/stories/CNS_Photos/radarrenewalfinal.pdf

@Flyer69 - Actually that’s not what the NMC nor a local school told me. I was told that I have the option of taking a 3 day refresher course or sit for the 1 day exam. Obviously if I fail the 1 day exam I’ve wasted my money and if I were completely clueless on Radar and/or MO Boards I’d take the 3 day course. But I think I can get up to snuff pretty quick if I can find some sample questions / problems.

@Clear Solution - I found that also, and you’re right, that’s exactly what I’m looking for. I was just hoping to find some more of the same. I’m surprised that nobody seems to offer an on-line Radar refresher course,

I was under the impression that to renew radar observer it was a 1 day course at a school. I stand corrected. Having just done my radar observer refresher renewal at Maine Maritime, I guess I am all set for another 5 years.
I did see that there is a USCG approved online course offred by University of Alaska, but you must go to their campus to test.

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/renewing.asp

The USCG NMC website states that to renew the radar observer you must complete the appropriate approved course.

@Flyer69 - I spoke with NMC twice today, studied the materials on the website and spoke with the director of a local license school in my local area. The local school offers two “refresher” courses: a 3 day course and a 1 day course. The one day course is simply the administration of the test and assumes you’re ready to take it. I’ve been dealing with the USCG for over 30 years with regards to mariner licensing so I’m well aware of how different people at these offices can give different answers. That’s part of the reason why I called them twice and I verified it with a third source. But here again, you’re pulling the conversation away from the question I posted. So far only “Clear Solution” has posted any advice pertinent to my question, anyone else?

I believe the test can be proctored by anyone (after making arrangements with UAS) with uscg approval to give the exam. I am sure that what ever for profit training school will want the fee for the full class to give the exam though. But it might be worth it to someone to pay double if they had more money than time.

[QUOTE=Shadow;61516]I believe the test can be proctored by anyone (after making arrangements with UAS) with uscg approval to give the exam. I am sure that what ever for profit training school will want the fee for the full class to give the exam though. But it might be worth it to someone to pay double if they had more money than time.[/QUOTE]
Both ladies at NMC told me that the duration of the Radar renewal class was up to the schools. As I posted above, the school in my area offers both a 3 day and a 1 day refresher course / exam. The 1 day is essentially only the test. Back when I was teaching for Houston Marine we offered the same thing, a 5 day initial certification course, a 3 day refresher course or a 1 day review and exam. The cost difference between the 1 day and 3 day isn’t that much (although the 3 day costs 2x as much) but the school is a 2 hour drive (each way) from where I live and would mean I will have to take time off from work. Since I’ve done thousands of MO Boards while serving as a deck officer in the Navy and also taught the Radar endorsement class for Houston, I’m pretty sure all I need is a bit of practice to bring it all back. In any event, I’m opting for the 1 day exam/course.

But again, this is far afield of my question so I’m going to assume that the link “Clear Solutions” posted is the only practice materials anyone’s found so far.

Google “radar plotting” about three items down is a pdf called radar ref. It has all you need to know. If you can’t find it let me know and I ll try to post the link. (I can’t cut and paste on my smart phone.)

All the one day classes are 8 hrs. Some schools will cheat and allow you to leave after taking your exam but can get in trouble if the uscg catches them. The more honest schools will make you stay all day. Last time I renewed I passed my test in the morning and they made me stay the rest of the day. They let me play on their simulator which was a lot of fun.

@Shadow - Searching for “radar plotting” was the ticket, thanks! I found a copy of HO Pub 1310 and a pdf with some great exercise examples here: http://www.star-center.com/Course.Info/HANDOUT%20Radar%20Review%20Rev%2012-08.pdf That’s exactly what I was looking for!

You’re right about the “course” being a minimum of 8 hours and how some schools cheat. The course time is one factor that the USCG considers when approving a course so “cheating” can cause a school to loose their certification (or worse). Since I doubt very much that this test will take me all 8 hours to complete I may very well end up playing with their simulator like you did.

Thanks again for the help.

[QUOTE=prof_mariner;61500]Hi all,

First post and I’m hoping someone here can give me a lead or two. I’m due to renew my USCG Radar Observer certificate and would like to just sit for the test rather than sit though the course again. I’m just a bit rusty on Radar plotting and MO boards. I searched the internet a bit but was disappointed that I didn’t really find much in the way of self study materials. What would be ideal would be some example problems to solve that I can practice with. Anyone have any leads?[/QUOTE]

There is no Coast Guard administered test. You have to take a course. Generally, there are two types of courses that are acceptable for renewal of the radar observer endorsement. A one-day “Recertification” course assumes you already know what you need and are ready to take the graded simulator exercise. There might be a practice exercise or two, but generally you get right to the pass/fail exercise. There are also 3-day “refresher” courses that provide refresher training. Either one is acceptable for renewal.

[QUOTE=Shadow;61516]I believe the test can be proctored by anyone (after making arrangements with UAS) with uscg approval to give the exam. I am sure that what ever for profit training school will want the fee for the full class to give the exam though. But it might be worth it to someone to pay double if they had more money than time.[/QUOTE]

This isn’t correct. The only way to renew a radar endorsement is an approved course, either a one-day “recertification” course, or a 3-day “refresher” course.

[QUOTE=Shadow;61522]Google “radar plotting” about three items down is a pdf called radar ref. It has all you need to know. If you can’t find it let me know and I ll try to post the link. (I can’t cut and paste on my smart phone.)

All the one day classes are 8 hrs. Some schools will cheat and allow you to leave after taking your exam but can get in trouble if the uscg catches them. The more honest schools will make you stay all day. Last time I renewed I passed my test in the morning and they made me stay the rest of the day. They let me play on their simulator which was a lot of fun.[/QUOTE]

You’re generally correct about aschools not being permitted to curtail their courses, and must stick closely to their approved course schedule. But, for this course it may not be “cheating” to not keep students all day, they may be allowed to let students go after less than 8 hours.

Notice that all approved courses have the time of the course in their name. Only two use “day” the rest all use hours (e.g. “28-hour ARPA”). The two exceptions are flashing light, and radar observer recertification. The distinction is intentional, these courses just assess the “student” and there is no requirement they give refresher training. If students are ready, they can get right to the test or exercise. The “one-day” courses are of variable length and students could leave in less than a full 8 hours if they have successfully passed the exams or exercises. Note that a school can only do this if their approverd curriculum and schedule said they would do it. If they submitted and got approval for a curriculum/schedule that says the students will be there for a full 8 hours, then they have to follow that and keep them there all day.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;61565]There is no Coast Guard administered test. You have to take a course. Generally, there are two types of courses that are acceptable for renewal of the radar observer endorsement. A one-day “Recertification” course assumes you already know what you need and are ready to take the graded simulator exercise. There might be a practice exercise or two, but generally you get right to the pass/fail exercise. There are also 3-day “refresher” courses that provide refresher training. Either one is acceptable for renewal.[/QUOTE]

My apologies for my first post not being more clear. The “test” I was referring to is a 1 day Radar Endorsement renewal course. The 1 day “course” doesn’t include any refresher training, but rather only the final test to receive a certificate. This “course” is offered by a local school that is certified by the USCG. I can now see where my original post might be misunderstood, thank you for pointing it out to me.

On the One Day Re-certification class you have to come in ready. There is a first vector plot,second vector plot and you have a couple assessment plots to do. there is also 11 assessment to do on simulator so your day is full. coming in un-prepared you will not make it. I don’t know your location but in south Louisiana there is several places to take the one day course and you can probably pick up some study material from them.

[QUOTE=prof_mariner;61570]My apologies for my first post not being more clear. The “test” I was referring to is a 1 day Radar Endorsement renewal course. The 1 day “course” doesn’t include any refresher training, but rather only the final test to receive a certificate. This “course” is offered by a local school that is certified by the USCG. I can now see where my original post might be misunderstood, thank you for pointing it out to me.[/QUOTE]

For what it’s worth, I have renewed my radar observer endorsement with 2 separate schools. On each occasion when I signed up for their one day course, they sent me materials and radar plotting sheets to practice the exercises before coming to the school. Might be worth asking the folks you intend to use if they do something like this. And, there is the helpful information on radar plotting others have posted here as well.

I was referring to the newly approved on line class offered by the University of Alaska Southeast. The class work is online but the exam must still be taken at a physical location.

I just took the one day recert. We were out by 12:30 or so. We did a few practice plots for about an hour and a half and the instructor was helpful with any issues you had, and the test was pretty straightforward. One 18 minute plot and one 12 minute plot with questions associated with each. Not too difficult.

@New3M - Spoke with the local school and it’s a full day course/test. The morning is spent on the first / second triangle MO Board and afternoon on Radar navigation. Sounds like each school may do it differently. I went through my storage locker and dug up all my training materials and to my surprise also had both the training manual for the full 5 day Radar class and the 1 day recert class, so I’m all set. Thanks to all who contributed, I appreciate your help!