Looking for part time work on tug boats in SW Washington NW Oregon

Hello all.

I am currently employed full time and am happy with my job. I have my AB/QMED, and I currently work as a Junior Engineer.

My current work schedule is 8 days on 6 days off, which is about to change to 15/13 next month.

I’ve been a mariner for about a year now and I want to find part time work for my days off because I’d like to get a bit of experience on tugs, and I also would like to become a more well rounded mariner. Also my ship won’t be underway for the next two to three months for winter maintenance, so I’d like to have opportunities to be underway during the winter. I am willing to work on deck and in the engine room.

I live in Longview, WA and I am looking for this part time work somewhere in the area between Hammond, OR and Portland, OR on the Washington or Oregon side.

If anyone has any leads on possible work I could do, I’d be glad to hear it.

I would try some of the smaller outfits in the river down there Ross Island, bernert barge lines, maybe brusco too they have a couple shift boats in Aberdeen. I don’t think shaver, Foss or Tidewater would hire for on-call spot work but could be worth a shot.

Brusco maybe?

See if Brusco is looking for help on their chip runs…usually only a couple of days long.

Thanks for the tips guys. I e-mailed Brusco already, and they haven’t replied to me, but since I live in Longview anyway, I’ll probably just stop by their office and talk to them in person. I have never heard of Bernert, but I’ll definitely look into them. Perhaps I’ll speak to the IBU or something as well and see if they could hook me up.

[QUOTE=pedersenshawn;172820]Thanks for the tips guys. I e-mailed Brusco already, and they haven’t replied to me, but since I live in Longview anyway, I’ll probably just stop by their office and talk to them in person. I have never heard of Bernert, but I’ll definitely look into them. Perhaps I’ll speak to the IBU or something as well and see if they could hook me up.[/QUOTE]

Since you live there, by all means show up in person. We gotta remember here that all these companies, no matter how big or small, are flooded with resumes.

Show up in clean work clothes, tell them you were in the area buying oil skins or whatever and wanted to stop in to say that if they ever need an extra guy you’re interested on your time off from whatever company you work for.

You must be Johnny on the spot to have an AB and QMED and only have been a mariner for a year. You should make Master in six months.

[QUOTE=TugNtow;173232]You must be Johnny on the spot to have an AB and QMED and only have been a mariner for a year. You should make Master in six months.[/QUOTE]

he may have went to tongue point…