Looking for advice for my USMC son

My son wanted to join the Marines full time but was suckered into signing up in the reserve. He wants to attend a maritime academy but still needs to fulfill his monthly drill duties. One of the guys I work with told me that Mass Maritime has a ROTC program that would fulfill his monthly drill duty…Is that true? If not, does anybody know of an academy that offers that for Marines?

I’m not trying to be a smart ass - but pick up the phone and call the school admission office. If they can’t answer, they’ll route you to someone who can.

My brother completed his reserve requirements while attending a regular college without ROTC- should NOT be an issue but can take some scheduling/flexibility. Also had classmates at Maine maritime that were reservists.

HE, not you, needs to figure it out!

All the maritime academies have Navy ROTC units where USMC is always an option. He needs to be calling them and setting something up.

I was enlisted in the USMC Reserve during all but my final year at Mass. Maritime. I attended drill weekends as required, and merely had to make up a couple drill weekends during the week in order to be excused from drills I would miss for my annual training cruises. I was also able to get my activation for OIF delayed by about a 1-2 months in order to finish the semester I was partially done. If he’s a squared away Marine he may be afforded the same concessions should the need arise. If he wants it bad enough he’ll find a way. If he doesn’t, he’ll find an excuse.

[QUOTE=Slick Cam;130892]All the maritime academies have Navy ROTC units where USMC is always an option. He needs to be calling them and setting something up.[/QUOTE]

Not at Texas A&M Maritime. NROTC / SSOP is offered at the Galveston Campus, but main campus houses the Marine Corp option.

100% positive there were Marine Corps option cadets at TAMUG during my time there. Things may have changed.

Does being in ROTC relieve you of your USMC Enlisted drill obligation while you’re in school though?

[QUOTE=Slick Cam;130917]100% positive there were Marine Corps option cadets at TAMUG during my time there. Things may have changed.[/QUOTE]

It must have changed. There are some who are in NROTC who are doing the PLC option during the summer. They technically do not need to be in the NROTC unit. We also had a guy in the USMC reserves, but I’m not sure if his NROTC time counted for drill time.

My son is in the Navy Reserve and attending Sam Houston up in Huntsville, Texas. He has no problem meeting his drill requirements, and he is not part of the ROTC.