USCG Reserve and Maritime Academy

Hi there!
Recently I was accepted to Maine and Mass Maritime and I plan on joining the Coast Guard Reserve also.
I was wondering if anyone has participated in the reserves and if any time conflicts arose between attending drills and school work?
Also, how flexible are units when it comes to rescheduling drills? I have to do all the Sea Terms because I’m majoring in Marine Transportation.
Thanks

I think Mass Maritime may be your better bet as they do their semesters at sea during the winter if I’m not mistaken. If you haven’t joined yet, do you plan on going to boot camp and A school before starting school? Depending on what rate you choose, that is an 8 week obligation for bootcamp and A school is anywhere from 8 weeks to 29 weeks, as well.

At SUNY, the only conflict I have is with this particular semester at sea because I am cadet shipping and do not have hard dates of when I will depart and return. Other than that it’s been smooth sailing.

Congrats, but why? Do Navy Reserve (SSOP) while you’re at the academy, or USCG MARGRAD program once you graduate. Your method will make things more difficult for you. Either way though, good on you for offering to serve.

From my anecdotal experience it depends on where your drills are. I know people who have tons of flexibility scheduling drills as well as their 2 week commitment through their boat station.

Not everyone will have this flexibility but some do. I think that’s something you work out when you enlist; they’re usually upfront about where you’ll be serving and you can see what the chief there thinks beforehand.

Remember you won’t be the first or last student with that commitment. Maines my choice but I’m biased.

[QUOTE=Slick Cam;161817]Congrats, but why? Do Navy Reserve (SSOP) while you’re at the academy, or USCG MARGRAD program once you graduate. Your method will make things more difficult for you. Either way though, good on you for offering to serve.[/QUOTE]

I agree with Slick Cam. Why not do the SSOP or USCG MARGRAD programs instead?

What happens when you have a make or break exam on Monday, but you have drill 2 days prior?
I can tell you that my grades suffered. I like the idea of MARGRAD. No summer camps, no ROTC to weigh you down, and stateside active duty. SSOP pays, but I would suggest trying for that after your first year. You want to make good headway towards graduation during your first year at the academy. Remember this, you take SSOP money and you dont graduate, you’ll have to pay it all back. Maybe even enlist.

If you really want to go USCGR, do it. Just be sure to communicate with the school (your teachers, company staff etc.) on your CG obligations.

At Mass we also had a USCG Auxiliary program. Nothing like ROTC but what you can do is join the Auxiliary and then intern on a Cutter or with a station.