LNGRV job V.S. DP on Drillship job

I am a recent graduate have been offered two jobs and was looking for advice as to which may be more advantageous to pursue. One is a 3/m spot on an LNG regass vessel and the second is a DPO on a drillship. If you have experience on either of these vessels and know what it is like to work them I would appreciate any comments you have about them.

Thanks!

Hey Monkey,
Haven’t worked on either but seeing the salaries posted on this forum by others and observing the job openings available in this industry, I would say follow the money. “People that know, know DPO”.
Just be careful you don’t get Capt. Lee’s room mate.

take the DPO job. enjoy the money! watch your youth slide away as you sit for 12 hours in the same exact location month after month watching a computer monitor & losing your seamanship. trust me, you’ll be counting your minutes till your time off. then you’ll be home for a few weeks and counting/dreading your time until you return to work. after a couple years of this you’ll have a little money but be overweight and rather less attractive to the opposite sex. so you’ll marry a poor choice and breed. then you’ll sit around wondering what happened. perhaps cynicism will emerge in your personality (as you see so often on gcaptain, guilty as charged) also likely is alcoholism/drug abuse. but you’ll have that money! so who cares if you’re a little overweight or drink too much, right? eventually: the 2040 coroners report states [I]“obesity and inactivity increased the patient’s risk of heart disease, colon cancer, and minor cerebrovascular ailments including his minor strokes. Obesity and inactivity also led to patients diabetes. The patient’s significant financial means allowed him to remain on life support long after any hope for recovery existed.”[/I]

I am a DPO and would recommend you actually take the LNG job, at least you’ll be doing something & going somewhere. DPO stands for “Dreary & Permanently Offshore”.

When I was a fresh young mate right out of maritime school back in 1986 I travelled the world working on various sorts of vessels…

[quote=richard8000milesaway;27242]take the DPO job. enjoy the money! watch your youth slide away as you sit for 12 hours in the same exact location month after month watching a computer monitor & losing your seamanship. trust me, you’ll be counting your minutes till your time off. then you’ll be home for a few weeks and counting/dreading your time until you return to work. after a couple years of this you’ll have a little money but be overweight and rather less attractive to the opposite sex. so you’ll marry a poor choice and breed. then you’ll sit around wondering what happened. perhaps cynicism will emerge in your personality (as you see so often on gcaptain, guilty as charged) also likely is alcoholism/drug abuse. but you’ll have that money! so who cares if you’re a little overweight or drink too much, right? eventually: the 2040 coroners report states [I]“obesity and inactivity increased the patient’s risk of heart disease, colon cancer, and minor cerebrovascular ailments including his minor strokes. Obesity and inactivity also led to patients diabetes. The patient’s significant financial means allowed him to remain on life support long after any hope for recovery existed.”[/I]

I am a DPO and would recommend you actually take the LNG job, at least you’ll be doing something & going somewhere. DPO stands for “Dreary & Permanently Offshore”.

When I was a fresh young mate right out of maritime school back in 1986 I travelled the world working on various sorts of vessels…[/quote]

Dang, R8KMA your vacation must be really boring too. However, enjoyed reading the post. Made me :D.

Your young, go for the experience of actually sailing and seeing new things. The only way I would take a DPO job on a drillship is to get tonnage for upgrading for unlimited tonnage.

In a few years when you have a family and the ability to work even time with out being away for months at a time appeals to you then look into it.

Thanks for the advice guys,
one thing I left out is that the interviewer for the LNG job alluded to spending quite a bit of time anchored waiting for a job, and if a load was purchased sitting at an energy gateway regasifying and discharging the LNG to the grid as it is needed.

So I think I will spend a lot of time in one place with both jobs, but I don’t know if the LNG experience is as highly valued as the DP experience. I have seen a lot of postings for DPO positions.

as Jemplayer and myself have recommended, take the LNG job right now while you have the chance.
good luck.

Monkey, read CaptainTigers Thread posted today. It may help with your decision.