In June, I made a decision to try and get back to work on boats after walking away 17-18 years ago. The process of making that a reality has been well documented here in our forums. About two weeks ago I received my MMC with my AB Unlimited (any waters) which I held back in the day.
The journey has been enlightening, frustrating, expensive, and time consuming. I have come to realize and appreciate what a wonderful group of people we have here at [B]gCaptain.[/B] Your help, insight, and encouragement are a true blessing in my life. (Feel free to take a bow if you like, you have earned it)!
In a couple days, I am leaving my home down here in S. Florida and heading over to my old stomping grounds along the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com</st1:State>Texas, and <ST1:p<st1:State w:st=“on”>Louisiana </st1:State></ST1:pcoastline to seek employment in the offshore oilfields. I will be staying in <st1:City w:st=“on”><ST1:pLafayette</ST1:p</st1:City> with my brother for as long as it takes to get a job.
I have a few questions in general about living and working on boats down that way. Maybe some of you would be willing to share some of your knowledge and experience with me. I have been advised to approach this as a new experience as a lot has changed since I last worked out in the gulf.
- What kind of work schedule do most of the companies work?
- What is reasonable daily pay rate for an AB Unlimited with STCW-95, RFPNW (Lookout Only), and Life boatman? My goal is to get onboard supply boats, but I am open to other types of vessels.
- Do most vessels have washing machines and ice machines?
- Can or should you bring a laptop?
- What type of foot wear, clothing, safety gear and personal items should I bring or am allowed to bring?
- Any other gear I should bring?
- Is it acceptable to bring a fishing pole (I love to fish)?
- Any tips on getting a foot in the door?
- I figure it is going to be important to be ready to go to work right away if a job is offered?
- I had a disk fusion in my cervical spine 7 years ago C5-C6. No problems since and am in great health. Is that something that will/can cause me a problem with potentional employers?
Any other thoughts would be appreciated?