License doesn't say "Chief Mate"

I just received my C/M AGT MMC from the USCG. Upon review I noted that it does not contain the text “Chief Mate” in the STCW section of the MMC. It does have the code: II/2: Master, Chief Mates (500 Gross Tons or More). The text “Chief Mate” appears in the domestic section of my MMC only. I work with several mariners who have very recently upgraded to C/M and they each have “Chief Mate” printed in both sections of their MMC. I sent the NMC an email regarding this issue, and received the following reply:
[I][B]
“This email is in response to you not having Chief Mate listed on the International portion of your Merchant Mariner Credential. We have recently made some changes to the way we draft our credentials. The changes were made in preparation for the STCW rule making that is going to be in effect in the near future. We no longer list Chief Mate as a capacity on the STCW (International). We now list the Chief Mate as OICNW. At this time, I can find that no error was made in the processing of your credential. It was created in accordance with our policy and procedures.[/B][/I]”

Has anyone else received a C/M MMC without “Chief Mate” printed in the STCW section?

My chief engineer license has been reduced to roman numerals in the international section of the MMD. Pretty soon we will all be driving kilometers/hr and wearing man purses. The dumbing down of America, brought to you by Englishmen wearing women’s knickers.

[QUOTE=Too bad steam is gone;95852]My chief engineer license has been reduced to roman numerals in the international section of the MMD. Pretty soon we will all be driving kilometers/hr and wearing man purses. The dumbing down of America, brought to you by Englishmen wearing women’s knickers.[/QUOTE]

Actually the USCG is SLOWLY catching up to the rest of the world. I know of a few people who did not get consideration for jobs because the HR department of a non-USA company could not figure out how the USA license scheme translated into STCW speak. These HR types aren’t mariners and can’t be bothered to do the translation so they just put the resume over into the round file. Now though we will have to educate the US HR departments. Some don’t understand that a first engineering officer is a chief engineer etc., and the Roman Numerals really confuse the heck out of them. But then there are US mariners that are also thrown for a loop by the Roman Numeral thing.
All in all I think the standardization will benefit the mariner, eventually. If one’s ego requires a certificate suitable for framing I am told these can be found on line, I think you can even get a ring !

That is my concern, not being considered for a job due to my license not saying Chief Mate in the same place as another Chief Mate who merely happened to acquire their MMC before this supposed policy went into effect. I know HR personnel aren’t likely to be up to speed on obscure USCG policy changes.

I just got my Cheng license 2 weeks ago and under capacity it clearly says “Chief Engineer”

Like it would kill NMC to just put both.

[QUOTE=brjones;95983]I just got my Cheng license 2 weeks ago and under capacity it clearly says “Chief Engineer”[/QUOTE]

I guess it depends on who is doing the typing that day. I have an older USCG license that says CE and a few other flag states that say first engineering officer and one or two that say chief engineer also. When I renew my USCG next month we’ll see what shows up. I know of one guy whose new USCG license doesn’t say “chief engineer” just the STCW equivalent. Maybe they were tired that day? Eventually it will all work out but it is of little importance as long as your employer or potential employer understands what it all means.

[QUOTE=frogstomp81;95822]I just received my C/M AGT MMC from the USCG. Upon review I noted that it does not contain the text “Chief Mate” in the STCW section of the MMC. It does have the code: II/2: Master, Chief Mates (500 Gross Tons or More). The text “Chief Mate” appears in the domestic section of my MMC only. I work with several mariners who have very recently upgraded to C/M and they each have “Chief Mate” printed in both sections of their MMC. I sent the NMC an email regarding this issue, and received the following reply:
[I][B]
“This email is in response to you not having Chief Mate listed on the International portion of your Merchant Mariner Credential. We have recently made some changes to the way we draft our credentials. The changes were made in preparation for the STCW rule making that is going to be in effect in the near future. We no longer list Chief Mate as a capacity on the STCW (International). We now list the Chief Mate as OICNW. At this time, I can find that no error was made in the processing of your credential. It was created in accordance with our policy and procedures.[/B][/I]”

Has anyone else received a C/M MMC without “Chief Mate” printed in the STCW section?[/QUOTE]

Did you do the STCW assessments for Master/Chief Mate?

If not, you haven’t qualified for STCW for Chief Mate unlimited and its omission might be appropriate There are currently no assessments for STCW II/2 fior Master 1600 GRT, and when they are published, they will likely differ from those for unlimited tonnage. So having the STCW II/2 endorsement for Master not more than 1600 GRT/3000 GT doesn’t qualify you for the STCW endorsement for unlimited tonnage.

[QUOTE=tengineer;96000]I guess it depends on who is doing the typing that day. I have an older USCG license that says CE and a few other flag states that say first engineering officer and one or two that say chief engineer also. When I renew my USCG next month we’ll see what shows up. I know of one guy whose new USCG license doesn’t say “chief engineer” just the STCW equivalent. Maybe they were tired that day? Eventually it will all work out but it is of little importance as long as your employer or potential employer understands what it all means.[/QUOTE]

How old is “older”? If it was issued by an REC, that might be the problem. One of the reasons fort centralizing at NMC was inconsistency among the various RECs. Most of the text in an MMC is auto generated from fixed menus, so “who is doing the typing” is not a major factor in variance. However, some of the text used in the past was not accurate, and was changed. Also, when the MMC was created and STCW and domestic licenses were put togetjher, it was no longer necessary to “cross-reference” the domestic license in the STCW section of the MMC. So ST^CW text that included the title of the domestic endorsements held was removed.

Yes, I did the assessments. The same assessments that were done by the other 2nd mate on my ship. His MMC says Chief Mate in both the STCW and Domestic sections. His MMC was issued less than 1 month prior to mine.

Is it possible to get CM AGT Domestic without the assessments?

[QUOTE=Too bad steam is gone;95852]My chief engineer license has been reduced to roman numerals in the international section of the MMD. Pretty soon we will all be driving kilometers/hr and wearing man purses. The dumbing down of America, brought to you by Englishmen wearing women’s knickers.[/QUOTE]
Capacity Limitations
My international section says Chief Engineer--------Valid for service on tankships carrying liquified gas cargos

In effect it is saying in plain English that I can only sail chief on LNG/LPG tankships unless you have the Rosetta stone to transcribe the Roman numerals (Latin is a dead language) into a language a bureaucrat in some 3rd world country can figure out.

My domestic section is written in plain English

Capacity Limitations[ATTACH]2836[/ATTACH]

Chief Engineer Steam/Motor/Gas Turbine Vessels Of Any Horsepower

Any Unlic Engine Limited to Liquified Gas (LG) Cargos
Rating Lifeboat Etc.

I have had some HR problems getting on a small container ship in Europe because of this. I did get on the ship 2 weeks later than they wanted me. I have a letter from the NMC stating that I have the same international limitations as domestic that I can show to HR individuals

[QUOTE=frogstomp81;96037]…Is it possible to get CM AGT Domestic without the assessments?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but not vice versa. You can get any license/officer endorsement without meeting STCW. You’ll get the license, but not the STCW endorsement.

After sending a second email to the NMC they replied that their first email had been incorrect, and that they were issuing me a new MMC. Within 3 days it had been approved for issuance, and was sent out after the weekend.