Layed off for 6 months now

I have a 100 ton master 200 ton mate and ghave been working on Dive boats in the gulf of mexico. I have put in hundreds of Apps, with no response, I am now thinking I have to expand my search to lift boats,Does anybody know of any lift boat companies that might be hiring?

With this slowdown, you will have to expand your search to more than just liftboats. Sending out apps doesn’t work that well. You need to show up ready to work… then apply in person. Have you been able to do any classes with your time off. If you can borrow the cash it’s a great time to do it.

You can try Laredo Offshore for 200 ton lift boats though.
http://offshore.laredogroup.org/employment.php

[QUOTE=skinny stick;21261]I have a 100 ton master 200 ton mate and ghave been working on Dive boats in the gulf of mexico. I have put in hundreds of Apps, with no response, I am now thinking I have to expand my search to lift boats,Does anybody know of any lift boat companies that might be hiring?[/QUOTE]

Now is not a good time to be looking at liftboat companies. They generally slow down in winter due to weather. They can’t operate in heavy weather. But here are a few if you want to apply:

Montco

Superior

Hercules

Global

Aries Marine

Good luck. I am in the same boat as you. Off work since August.

sad to say there are over 12-14 lift boats stacked up outside the cameron jettys…not working…however i shot the shit with a couple of the capt.s and they hope to see things start to move around febuary 2010…good luck.
<input id=“gwProxy” type=“hidden”><!–Session data–><input onclick=“jsCall();” id=“jsProxy” type=“hidden”>

Skinny, start shaking the tree, don’t limit yourself at all. Lift boat Captains with experience get paid well. Get out there and get it done. Good Luck.

the dive company I work for called me back last month, went out for 10 days then there only 100 ton boat went off charter again, so they busted me down to deckhand on there bigger boats,pay sucks but and am very happy to at least have a job. I have started all my schools for my 500 ton, maybe a few doors will open up when I get a bigger ticket in my hands.

Skinny - are you followng the changes that the USCG is proposing? One of them includes eliminating the 500 T license. Good luck with getting the classes done ASAP! :cool:

trying to get in before they change things

Wow I was not familiar with this…any details and dates? It is my understanding one has to hold an AB ticket before they sit for a 500 ton lic? Is this true?
<input id=“gwProxy” type=“hidden”><!–Session data–><input onclick=“jsCall();” id=“jsProxy” type=“hidden”>

yep you have to have a AB before you can get your 500 ton,to me it is crazy that you can hold a master lic but have to go get a deckhand lic to move up.

Another way to look at it is this: If you can’t get a master or mate job, you might be able to get an AB job.

dougpine, you are right. I have a more than a couple friends that are working as a AB and getting paid more than most 100 ton masters right now

[QUOTE=skinny stick;25766]yep you have to have a AB before you can get your 500 ton,to me it is crazy that you can hold a master lic but have to go get a deckhand lic to move up.[/QUOTE]

I don’t see anything crazy about it. How can you supervise someone on a job you have never done? A 3000 ton ITC endorsed 500 ton license would enable you to run a 280 ft OSV. You can get that license having held nothing more than a 100 ton license, with the exception of the fact that you have to hold and serve under an AB and RFPNW for at least 90 days, which require service on a vessel over 200 tons for 180 days to obtain. Someone who has never worked the deck of a large vessel is certainly not qualified to be her Master. I am not saying you would not do an excellent job or are not capable (many of the best boat handlers come from smaller vessels), but the service requirements are justified and well within reason. When you begin to upgrade and I believe you should, I am quite certain by the end of the process you will agree with me. Just seeing how large vessels are managed from the ground up will be invaluable experience for your career development. Mooring the vessel, anchoring, navigating, and many other things are quite different on large vessels, with a much smaller margin for error; not rocket science, but skills you need to acquire nonetheless. Good luck.

Here’s a thread on the proposed rule changes:

http://gcaptain.com/forum/professional-mariner-forum/3320-stcw-notice-proposed-rulemaking.html

Here’s a thread on getting your RFPNW evaluations on a similator:

http://gcaptain.com/forum/maritime-training-licensing/3343-rfpnw-fletcher.html

According to knowledgeable instructors at L E Fletcher, you can sit for the 500 T Master license with an AB Special, and get your RFPNW completed on their simulator. They recommend applying for your AB Special on the same application as your 500 T Master, so no sea time as an AB is actually required. Sea time for AB is only required when you are getting your RFPNW assessments signed off on board, and not in a simulator.

If I am reding right it only requires a 500 ton mate to serve time as a AB, the 500 ton master requires that you have a AB lic. I went in through there website under upgrading , since I am upgrading from 100 ton to 500 ton.

Maybe MR Cavo will throw in here.

this is what i have found as requriments

[B]§ 11.418 Service requirements for master of ocean or near coastal steam or motor vessels of not more than 500 gross tons.[/B]

The minimum service required to qualify an applicant for an endorsement as master of ocean or near coastal steam or motor vessels of not more than 500 gross tons is:
(a) Three years total service on ocean or near coastal waters. Service on Great Lakes and inland waters may substitute for up to 18 months of the required service. Two years of the required service must have been as a master, mate, or equivalent supervisory position while holding a license or MMC endorsement as master, mate, or operator of uninspected passenger vessels. One year of the required service as master, mate, or equivalent supervisory position must have been on vessels of over 50 gross tons.

I am almost done taking my last STCWs for the 500 GRT Master and will be sending an application in the spring. I have been reading and following the requirements for the Master (not mate) for a while now.

Attached is the 500GRT checklist given to me by the NMC about 4 weeks ago. It has references to the “Qualifications” of AB, note it says to administer exams…it also has the CFR references in there.

I haven’t inquired into some of the questions that have been raised as I already hold my AB, RFPNW credentials (not a license as some have stated).

Hope the checklist can hope someone else on here, as this list is unavailable on the NMC website for some reason…:confused: I had to email them to get it sent to me.

Good luck to the others upgrading, time is of the essence here for those of us looking to get a 500GRT masters before these changes occur.

[QUOTE=skinny stick;25807]If I am reding right it only requires a 500 ton mate to serve time as a AB, the 500 ton master requires that you have a AB lic.[/QUOTE]

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

I find that to be an interesting “take” on the regulations as well…:smiley:

My take on the CFR he is referring to is designed to let an AB move up to the mates position, BUT in order to take a masters position you have to have been “employed” in the mate or masters position (while holding the appropriate license )for the required service…

Conspearasea - Thanks for posting the 500 T Master NC-Oceans checklist. That is apparently newer than the one the NMC was sending out last fall. The one you posted is much more clearer and concise.

Trying to understand all the requirements for the 500 T Master has been a challenge. The new checklist certainly helps.

All the postings on this site have been most helpful, too.

As I understand it, it takes fewer classes to qualify for the 500 T Master than the 500 T Mate. But that would change under the proposed rule changes that NMC would like.