Knocking on doors in Texas?

Im green and following my dream.
I’m 26 years old with a well rounded background.(mostly working as a machinist)
Ive got my TWIC, MMC, STCW-95, and Passport.
I’m giving up everything to persue my career as a merchant marine.
I’m currently in Cape Canaveral Florida.
I will start my trip by spending 2 weeks “knocking on doors in Louisiana” in search of a Wiper position. (or any entry level position to get my foot in the door)
After that I will be camping out in Houston Texas until I get a job.
I picked Texas because of its massive port and its good economy.
I will also be persuing a job as a CNC machinist when I get there so I have some sort of income while I search for work at sea.
QUESTIONS:
has anyone else tried “knocking on doors in Texas”?
what companies should I go to?
would I have better luck at another port city?

Good for you for understanding the “foot in the door” mentality. Best of luck, but it sounds like your best bet will be Louisiana for door knocking. Texas may be more of a call and offer to stop by at a moments notice, but I’m just guessing.

[QUOTE=treb56;142184]Im green and following my dream.
I will start my trip by spending 2 weeks “knocking on doors in Louisiana” in search of a Wiper position. (or any entry level position to get my foot in the door)
I will also be persuing a job as a CNC machinist when I get there so I have some sort of income while I search for work at sea.
QUESTIONS:
would I have better luck at another port city?[/QUOTE]

GRMI
4811 Industrial drive
New Iberia, LA 70560
Personal Manager
Donna Flowers
337-364-6788

v

• Updated - - -

QUESTIONS:

GRMI
4811 Industrial drive
New Iberia, LA 70560
Personal Manager
Donna Flowers
337-364-6788

v

Have to agree with Z-Drive about in Louisiana. Depends what you are looking for. I would have to guess that most of the offshore marine companies are in Louisiana. But your drilling companies are mainly in Texas. I do not know too many drilling companies that you can just walk in. At one time Noble was ok with this but not sure now.

GRMI, are you kidding

QUESTIONS:

if you are pursuing a career as a merchant mariner, why are you going to LA? haven’t seen a supply boat with a lathe or machine shop as of yet. i’m sure there’s a small number out there, but they are few and far between.

get a job with shipping company as a wiper. join the SIU if you have to.

get your engineering license after a few years and really put those machinist skills to use.

going to TX is definitely is a roll of the dice as far as spending money in search of work goes. Drilling companies don’t do walk ins.
Your work background as a machinist could get you some attention from online applications for drillers in search of mechanics, which could help you get an engineers license. don’t get me wrong, though, that is the merchant marine either. but it’s a start.

good luck.

I plan on going to Louisiana to get a job as a Wiper because from what I understand; that’s where I will have the most luck getting a job. I’m giving up machine work to follow my dream of working at sea and I’m sure some of my skills would be useful at some point as I will be in the engine department. I’ve been in contact with SIU for a while now. Waiting 10 months in the union hall every day for an entry level position is a waste of time and money. I applied for the apprenticeship program at SHLSS but was not accepted. So…this is where I’m at now.
Maybe I will just stay in Louisiana until I get my first ship.
Thank you everyone.

[QUOTE=skycowboy;142201]GRMI, are you kidding[/QUOTE]

Whats wrong with GRMI?

Foot in the door with no experience. Plus, I think there hiring.

No idea about that company but time at a shitty company when starting out makes you appreciate the better ones once you upgrade!

Sorry if I wasn’t clear about my intentions. I panned on Two weeks in Louisiana because that’s where I will apparently have the best luck finding an entry level position on a ship. If I didn’t find anything within the two week stay I was going to hit Houston Texas because I figured a big port like that would have plenty of doors I could knock on. BUT…with my new found knowledge, I’ve realized that’s not the case. I’ve decided I will just stay in Louisiana until I get something. Annnd until I get my first ship I’m going to need some sort of income, so I will also be looking for machinist jobs there also.
I’m not joining SIU because I would have to sit in a union hall for 8-12 months waiting for an entry level position. I also applied to their Apprenticeship Program at SHLSS but was not accepted. Louisiana seems to be the best (maybe my only) option.
Right now I don’t care what company I work for or how shitty they are. I need sea time and I will take anything I can get.
Thank you for your input everyone. I really appreciate it.

Hear, hear!

[QUOTE=jrock;142221]Whats wrong with GRMI?

Foot in the door with no experience. Plus, I think there hiring.[/QUOTE]

GRMI is located right at the airport behind a locked gate. Call ahed to let them know you are coming. They are a small company that operates a few under 100 ton minisupply boats. A couple of the boats are fairly new. A couple of the boats may have DP, but they are not classed DP. You will be interviewed by the owner of the company. She is a nice lady that you will treat you with a level of dignity that is woefully uncommon at bayou boat companies. They are a relatively lower paying company, but they seem like good people, and it might not be a bad place to get started.

Alright…I got a job offer from a company in Houston doing machine work. They are flying me out next week for an interview. Even tho its not what I want. I decided to take the job so I could at least be closer to the shipping companies. I’ve learned that their are quite a few ship companies in Houston I can check out. I will only be 5 hours from Louisiana instead of 10. I’m getting closer! Thanx for your input everyone. I will keep you updated on my journey.

Did you try the towing companies? Kirby Marine, Buffalo, Higman.

[QUOTE=treb56;142835]Alright…I got a job offer from a company in Houston doing machine work. They are flying me out next week for an interview. Even tho its not what I want. I decided to take the job so I could at least be closer to the shipping companies. I’ve learned that their are quite a few ship companies in Houston I can check out. I will only be 5 hours from Louisiana instead of 10. I’m getting closer! Thanx for your input everyone. I will keep you updated on my journey.[/QUOTE]

Congrats and good luck!

consider giving Polar and Sea River a call, as well…

I havnt looked into those companies yet but I definitely will. Thanx guys!