Just want to introduce my self

Hello I am new to this forum just wanted to introduce myself. I am also looking for employment in this industry. I have my mmc, twic, stcw95, and passport. I have registered with Capt. Kelly Sweeney as well I have been filling out apps every day. from whatever companies I can find. I am thinking about driving to the gulf states and going door to door. Do you all think this would be a good idea to get started. I know their are a lot of people looking for work in this industry. I am just trying to stay positive in my search, as it is getting discouraging hearing not hiring at this time from every one. I have even had recruiters tell me I am wasting my time as an OS trying to get a job. I would consider the siu hall but I would lose my house and ruin my credit by leaving and not being able to pay bills for several months. I have been running my own commercial fishing vessel out of north Florida for the last 5 years. We fish for snapper and grouper, unfortuinetly thanks to noaa they are trying to close our fishery. If they have their way we will be shut down by early October. I am willing to do whatever and travel where ever I must. Thanks for any advice. Kelly Sisk

Hi Kelly,

Welcome to GCaptain. There are a lot of resourceful people on here. You’ll find that out soon, I’m certain. If you ever come out to Lafayette, La., a co. called Gulf Fleet is looking for workers.

[B]Contact: [/B] Chris Dugas 337-210-2600
address is 2623 Evangeline Thwy.

I think that you will have a better chance getting a job knocking on the doors rather than not knocking on them. If you can afford to come down then do it. If you come, bring a bag with work clothes and personals ready to go if given an opportunity. Also, in order to maximize your time make a list of where you can go to apply and when to keep things rolling in the right direction. Where are you from? There are boat companies from New York to Panama City to Bayou la Batre, to Gulfport, New Orleans, Golden Meadow, Galliano, Morgan City, Des Allemands, Texas, West Coast, Hawaii. There has to be SOMETHING!

ksisk,
If you happen to be around Fort Walton when looking for a job, I can hook you up with a place to stay. It even comes with a wife and kid, plus a Dodge truck.

Thank you, Ashley and Capt Lee for the response I have been on this sight for about a week and can say I have already got a lot of great information. I will contact Chris Dugas on Monday. The gulf is were I would ultimately like to be, although I would not mind working in the noth Pacific or Bearing Sea just to get a chance to see that part of the world, especially if I can do it while earning a paycheck. Again thanks

Thanks Anchorman that is very kind of you to offer such things. I live in jacksonville, and am planning on starting my door to door job search around the Mobile area moving through Miss. Into Louisiana. I have sent some app to some companies in Texas but don’t think i will include that in my road trip. Hope to find work before I get that far.

[quote=anchorman;17484]ksisk,
If you happen to be around Fort Walton when looking for a job, I can hook you up with a place to stay. It even comes with a wife and kid, plus a Dodge truck.[/quote]

Screw you Anchorman!!

Ksisk, He is talking about my place!

anchorman
Are you stirring the pot with your Idol and mentor Captain Lee???
:D:D:D:D

Anchorman is very kind…In fact I think he may have a house somewhere around Mobile too…:smiley:

Anchorman is a DOUCHE BAG!

Ya, he kinda crossed the line when he threw your pickup in …didn’t he??

lol… Sorry Capt. Lee its not your fault anchorman’s an idiot. don’t need anywhere to stay other than a ship i may be working on. I am just looking to find a job. not interested in being a home wrecker any way.

[QUOTE=ksisk;17496]lol… Sorry Capt. Lee its not your fault anchorman’s an [B]idiot[/B]. don’t need anywhere to stay other than a ship i may be working on. I am just looking to find a job. not interested in being a home wrecker any way.[/QUOTE]

I’m a [B]idiot[/B] with a job.:slight_smile:

No need for name calling. Me and Lee go way back, and he never said anything about not sharing. So really, that’s not my fault.

Sorry meant no disrespect Anchorman! Do you work at chouest? I visit Fourchon quite a bit see the chouest boats all around they look to be top notch. I received an ap from them yesterday and sent it back. Looks like a good company to work for.

None taken.

Yeah, I work at ECO. So did Leeroy, but he left me here all alone.

Good company. Put in an application there for sure. Might get lucky and get a spot on the tugs in Kingsbay, but that is a long shot.

Kelly- I’m an OS too (will have AB soon) and know what you’re going through. It’s hard to get your foot in the door.

I’m working in port- just finished a season on a fish processor in the Bering Sea- as a deckhand. We may have asome openings- but the next season doesn’t start til January.

Also- would you be willing to work a trip as a processor to get your foot in the door? That’s the usual career path here- though I managed to circumvent it- and you might be able to as well- especially since you have your STCW.

If interested- pm me.

Apologies if it takes a while to get back to you- still working 7 days a week- and not on the internet much.

Anthony

[quote=Ordinaryseaman;17505]Kelly- I’m an OS too (will have AB soon) and know what you’re going through. It’s hard to get your foot in the door.

I’m working in port- just finished a season on a fish processor in the Bering Sea- as a deckhand. We may have asome openings- but the next season doesn’t start til January.

Also- would you be willing to work a trip as a processor to get your foot in the door? That’s the usual career path here- though I managed to circumvent it- and you might be able to as well- especially since you have your STCW.

If interested- pm me.

Apologies if it takes a while to get back to you- still working 7 days a week- and not on the internet much.

Anthony[/quote]

Hey Anthony, when did you get back into civilization? Where’s the pics and the sea stories???

[B]Kelly,[/B]
Let me know about Gulf Fleet after you contact them. By the way…“DUGAS” is pronounced Do-Gah. I’m not certain where YOU ARE FROM or HOW familiar you are with the cajun/creole culture.

Good luck!!!
-Ashley

“I would consider the siu hall but I would lose my house and ruin my credit by leaving and not being able to pay bills for several months”

Curious as to why you say that. Looks to me like the jax hall filled a lot of jobs last month.

nuthinfancy
sorry meant the apprenticeship program would cause me to ruin my credit not paying bills for several months.

Ashley
I certainly will let you know after contacting Mr. Do-Gah Monday I am from Jacksonville Florida but have a lot of friends over in cajun/country Venice to be exact. Thanks again.

Kelly