Just A Couple Of Questions

I just turned 28 years old and I am considering the maritime industry. I dont have any kids and im recently divorced. If you had to chose would you got to a maritime school or obtain your mmd card and go straight to work? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Did you spend any time in the military?

No sir. I dont have any military experience. I completed four years of ROTC but never went into the military.

Just a thought, and I’m sure you’ll have plenty of ideas here, but why ot get a z-card ( and everything else, and give it a try? Keep your eyes and ears open on a ship and see if being underway is for you. You’ll still get a great education at a maritime academy, but see if sailing is for you before you commit time and money to it…

That does make a lot of sense. I have a friend that recently obtained his z-card and now is currently working on tug boats and he seemed to be doing just fine. So maybe that would be the best route for me. Thanks for the info it really helped me a lot.

Also, make sure you scour these discussions for information on getting started There is a wealth of knowledge sitting in front of you, just start digging. If you come up with specific questions about the process, please let us know. We’re here to help. We’re a truthful bunch too, we won’t lead you astray. But we’re sailors, we speak our minds, and having a thick skin and being willing to listen to the voice of experience is important too.

Instead of 4 years of school and a 3rd mate you can do the same 4 years on a vessel and have your 2nd mates plus cash!!!

good luck

The Great Lakes Maritime Academy in Traverse City, MI has a number of older students. With a BS or BA already in hand the program can be completed within 2 1/2 years I believe. Check http://www.nmc.edu/maritime/programs/deck.html