Is CO2 a future shipping commodity?

Wonder if they’ll use the cargo for refrigeration and AC?

That’s an interesting thought but unless the AC&R systems were “total loss” and discharged the CO2 into the atmosphere (which would degreen the ship in environmental and public relations optics) the energy used to re-liquify the CO2 and return it to the cargo tanks would make the whole exercise pointless. But then, maybe if they return gas to the existing re-liquification system - if one is installed.

Without spending a bunch of time running the numbers, that is my first impression.

Govs have to fund its value, currently not high enough so its of no value

They could install purpose built CO2 refrigeration systems. The technology is available. It would be a good PR initiative to prove captured CO2 has a use. Years ago I was at a seminar where they demonstrated a very efficient CO2 refrigeration system. Compressors were bearing-less which was a unique idea at the time. CO2 does require high pressure tubing but the units were very efficient. At the time they were installing small CO2 water coolers in businesses as a trial. When coupled with heat recovery It could be an interesting practical application.

Yes, it makes a good enough refrigerant but your post asked if the cargo itself could be used for hotel services. That is why my response was directed toward using cargo rather than a closed loop CO2 reefer or AC plant.

I suppose I wasn’t clear on my thinking, not unusual. Initially I was thinking the C02 has to be pressurized as cargo. So why couldn’t the gas be compressed further for hotel services and then discharged back into cargo if the pressure differential suited? Of course I have no information on the pressure of the cargo so perhaps it is not feasible. It would be an interesting project to check out. I like this kind of thing. In the late 1970’s in between jobs I got involved with a project using solar for an ammonia refrigeration system. It was feasible but not cost efficient.

“CO2 is transported, stored and handled in liquid form, either at ambient
temperature (in cylinders or non-insulated storage tanks at a pressure
of 45-65 bar) or refrigerated (in insulated tankers and storage tanks) at
temperatures between -35 °C and -15 °C and pressures of 12 to 25 bar.”

1 Like

First renewable energy from Oz to S’pore, now CO2 the other way:

the technical part is one thing, who is paying and paying forever re storage?

There is no recurring “storage charge” for geological storage of CO2 once the injection well is sealed. The costs are those related to capture, transport, and injection. Once it’s in the ground it’s effectively gone and forgotten.

so they drill a new well for every injection?
Sounds like a great business for the mafia

I don’t see it as being much different than the tried and true way we extract oil today. If the storage area is an old oilfield the wells are already there, the only thing that changes is the direction of flow.

There is a ton of information available. It’s easily researched.

You have to drill new wells
I have been chatting to a guy from a large international tech firm that have been asked by several govs to look into it. ( they make the well gear)
Its much more complicated to take a very cold liquid and get it down a well as its expands etc.
He said you start again plus the risk of leaks, its fraught with issues.
Plus the financial side doesnt yet exist.

I think your guy needs to refresh his technology sources. Above about 1000 psi CO2 is liquid at room temperature. While it may be transported as a refrigerated liquid at low pressure for reasons of economy, once it enters the well at the high pressure required to flood the reservoir it becomes a pretty warm liquid.

Maybe your guy doesn’t know that CO2 injection has been used to enhance oil reservoir production for many years. He should talk to the Saudis.

1 Like

A scholarly study FYI:

The ongoing development of the Northern Light Project has been described here before, but here is the latest news:

thanks
In theory it says its not simple, clearly there are a couple of wells worldwide doing it.
Nobody knows what the long term issues will be.

He is the manufacturer of the equipment.
So liquid CO2 goes into a well and warms up as it expands to a gas, I know you know better than that.

That’s not even remotely what he said. It goes in as warm liquid. Did you know that liquid CO2 is used at room temperature for dry cleaning clothing?