International Work Boat Show - New Orleans Dec 5-7

Never been to one of these. Been searching for jobs this week hitting the OSV companies. Trying to decide if it would be worth coming back in December and touch base with the same companies. My original plan was to come back in January. Some places said they might be hiring closer to when their new builds come out. If anyone has ever been to one with the intention of looking for work, I’d be interested in your experience. I’m not sure if they send their HR folks to the booths or not.

I don’t remember seeing any HR people other than a headhunter if i remember correctly. Mostly vendors.

That’s what i figured. Thanks

Wait until the spring if you can. Don’t even bother trying to go by the office and expect to talk to anybody during the work boat show, all the HR guys are out walking the floor waiting till 1500 when the beer and wine comes out just like every one else.

[QUOTE=Jemplayer;87964]Wait until the spring if you can. Don’t even bother trying to go by the office and expect to talk to anybody during the work boat show, all the HR guys are out walking the floor waiting till 1500 when the beer and wine comes out just like every one else.[/QUOTE]

It does sound like Q1 into Q2 would be a better time from what I’ve heard down here. Thought about staying another week, but might cut my losses, save some $, and return at the beginning of next year.

Yea, several new builds should be hitting the water around then, or at least hiring to crew them.

GOL, HOS, Harvey, and of course the always building Chouest will all be good ones to hit up as they will all have boats coming out about then.

I’ve worked as a vendor and as a buyer at this show dozens of times over the years and never seen an operator exhibiting there. The place is crawling with them but it’s mostly people on the purchasing side and the smaller outfits will send just about everybody. Exhibitor list in on the website http://www.workboatshow.com/ 1000+, not bad. I only see a couple of staffing companies and those will be marketing/sales guys looking for customers, not recruits. It’s still a fun event if you can swing it, all the new gadgets and lots of giveaways.