International vs Domestic, Chief Engineer license

Hello All, I recently tested for and recieved chief engineer limited oceans, I also hold third assistant unlimited motor.

On the domestic part of my license, it says Chief engineer limited oceans, any hp. But on the international part, it says Chief Engineer. No limitations! (except cannot work on a vessel with steam or gas turbine as part of the propulsion)

So does this mean I can go to work on a US flagged vessel over 1600gt as a Chief?? but only 200+ miles offshore?? or does it mean I can work on a foreign flagged ship as a chief engineer??(doubtful)

What the heck do they mean “international capacities”??

And what the heck do I put on my Resume? Chief unlimited??

Any help would be very welcome, thanks in advance…

Title 46: Shipping
PART 10—LICENSING OF MARITIME PERSONNEL
Subpart E—Professional Requirements for Engineer Officers’ Licenses
§ 10.501 Grade and type of engineer licenses issued.

(a) Licenses are issued in the grades of:

(1) Chief engineer;

(2) First assistant engineer;

(3) Second assistant engineer;

(4) Third assistant engineer;

(5) Chief engineer (limited);

(6) Assistant engineer (limited);

(7) Designated duty engineer;

(8) Chief engineer uninspected fishing industry vessels; and,

(9) Assistant engineer uninspected fishing industry vessels.

(b) Engineer licenses issued in the grades of chief engineer (limited) and assistant engineer (limited) of steam and/or motor vessels allow the holder to serve within any horsepower limitations on vessels of any gross tons on inland waters and of not more than 1600 gross tons in ocean, near coastal or Great Lakes service in the following manner:

(1) Assistant engineer (limited—oceans) may serve on ocean waters;

(2) Chief engineer (limited—near coastal) may serve on near coastal waters; and,

(3) Chief engineer (limited-oceans) may serve on ocean waters.

Does it say specifically “no limitations”? There’s no tonnage limitation? No “less than 3000 tons ITC” or anything? You may have got away with one there.

I had the same question and thought it was a mistake. When I called NMC to find out what todo since my license hasn’t arrived in the mail yet, I asked the lady. Apparently the international endorsements refer back to the domestic endorsement. I too thought they had neglected to put a tonnage limit on my chief ltd. I wish there was somewhere that had a list of what they issue and what your NMC will say. It seemed like before everything was copied word for word on both sections.

Thanks for the replies,(and thank you, STEAMER, for the redundant cfr quote) but does anyone know what the “international capacities” refer to on your MMD? I know what capacity a c/e limited can serve in, but still dont understand the “international capacities” part of my license. What is it good for? Absolutely nothing??:wink:

Ok. I found it at stcw.org. The international capacities, are also known as STCW capacities, it simply takes the place of your old STCW certificate… so it doesnt matter if there are no limitations on that part, you are still limited by the domestic side of the MMC/License

[QUOTE=Yeasty McFlaps;88949]Hello All, I recently tested for and recieved chief engineer limited oceans, I also hold third assistant unlimited motor.

On the domestic part of my license, it says Chief engineer limited oceans, any hp. But on the international part, it says Chief Engineer. No limitations! (except cannot work on a vessel with steam or gas turbine as part of the propulsion)

So does this mean I can go to work on a US flagged vessel over 1600gt as a Chief?? but only 200+ miles offshore?? or does it mean I can work on a foreign flagged ship as a chief engineer??(doubtful)

What the heck do they mean “international capacities”??

And what the heck do I put on my Resume? Chief unlimited??

Any help would be very welcome, thanks in advance…[/QUOTE]

You are still bound by any limitations on your license, even when working internationally.

“International capacities” are your STCW endorsements.

Your authority to work as chief engineer is as specified in 46 CFR 15.915(b), any gross tons on inland and not more than 1600 GRT on Great Lakes, near coastal, and oceans.

To work on a foreign vessel you will need to have your U.S. STCW “endorsed” by the flag of the vessel. “Endorsed” in STCW is when a country issues you an STCW document becasue you hold a certificate issued by another country that is in compliance weith the STCW. Every person on board a vessel subject to STCW needs an STCW docuemnt issued by the flag of the vessel.

Well, Yeasty, is that redundant enough for you?

Thanks Mr. Cavo. And Steamer, what Mr. Cavo said was actually not redundant, as his post contained useful information. But thank you for trying to help earlier, sorry for busting your balls.