Immigrants without legal status able to apply for professional licenses in CA (link)

If you do a little research you will see that the US already has somewhat of an open labor market. The maritime industry might be an exception to this but the fact of the matter is that if an american company wants to sponsor a foreign national they feel is the best candidate for an open position then they will petition a work visa on that foreigners behalf.

[QUOTE=Slick Cam;163673]Hmmm so this whole immigration mess is the US citizenry’s fault then? Righhttttt…[/QUOTE]

Well, we seem to keep voting in the same buffoons- we have the power to do better, but we choose to focus on stupid shit like pop culture. I’d wager real money that more people know who Caitlyn Jenner is than who their Congressman is

I was happier when I didn’t know who Caitlyn Jenner was. I would also be happier if Andrew Crenshaw got more time on the news than Caitlyn Jenner. Hell I would be happy if Obama got more air time than Caitlyn Jenner.

That being said welcome to America PilotWolf. If you are willing to do it the right way and put up with all the bs to become a citizen I bet your a better American than most.

[QUOTE=Tom B;163688]I was happier when I didn’t know who Caitlyn Jenner was. I would also be happier if Andrew Crenshaw got more time on the news than Caitlyn Jenner. Hell I would be happy if Obama got more air time than Caitlyn Jenner.[/QUOTE]

The Kardashian family has single handedly lowered the collective American IQ by 20 points, easily.

[QUOTE=catherder;163644]We have enough trouble finding work for US citizens as it is…and enough problems with companies abusing guest worker visa laws (see the issues with H-1b visa holders being hired not to supplement, but to DISPLACE US workers as is being done at Disney etc). Why on earth should we just open the floodgates and allow anyone to come here and work, likely for peanuts, while Americans line up at the unemployment office? Do you see any other industrialized nations doing this? Can I buy a plane ticket to Germany or Japan and just start applying for jobs? No, I have to follow their immigration and employment laws, so it’s absolutely reasonable to expect others to abide by ours. If you want to live here and/or work and go to school here, there is a process. Tough shit if it’s expensive and takes a long time, that’s the way it is.

Please don’t tell me you’re an American mariner, because we don’t need people in the ranks willing to give our jobs away. Already enough of that in Congress.[/QUOTE]

I don’t actually hold the opinions I stated in the previous comment, I was only playing devils advocate to see what people would say. But what I said is the kind of thing you hear from Obama’s brain dead communist lemmings.

If there was a open labor market then companies would just hire people from asian countries that will work to death for a dollar a day, like what they are doing in Qatar just now with people from Nepal.

[QUOTE=catherder;163689]The Kardashian family has single handedly lowered the collective American IQ by 20 points, easily.[/QUOTE]

Add a -20 IQ points each for Duck Dynasty and some of the Jersey, Atlanta etc., “Housewives of” shows and your getting into the moron range. Which might explain your question of why US citizens keep reelecting people that steal from them, over and over and over.

[QUOTE=follow40;163701]I don’t actually hold the opinions I stated in the previous comment, I was only playing devils advocate to see what people would say. But what I said is the kind of thing you hear from Obama’s brain dead communist lemmings.

If there was a open labor market then companies would just hire people from asian countries that will work to death for a dollar a day, like what they are doing in Qatar just now with people from Nepal.[/QUOTE]

How about we start regulating American businesses to require them to practice fair labor and pay practices no matter who they are hiring?

Oh, but they’ll all just leave?

Well, maybe we should all just work ourselves to death for a dollar a day?

I don’t know about you but I’m completely baffled by people who argue to allow businesses to treat us like shit and play by their own rules just so they can make a few extra bucks while the middle class stagnates and fails with decades old wages. .

Yea good point. Business could leave the country but if there is no middle class to consume products/services then whats the point?

[QUOTE=tengineer1;163702]Add a -20 IQ points each for Duck Dynasty and some of the Jersey, Atlanta etc., “Housewives of” shows and your getting into the moron range. Which might explain your question of why US citizens keep reelecting people that steal from them, over and over and over.[/QUOTE]

I was flipping thru channels on the elliptical last night and that Duck bunch came up…I’m thinking we have another 10, 15 years tops before we end up breaking up into individual shogunates.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=acesouthcoast;163711]Yea good point. Business could leave the country but if there is no middle class to consume products/services then whats the point?[/QUOTE]

They already justify that by selling to a global market. You have an up and coming Chinese and Indian middle class that numbers in the hundreds of millions, possibly a billion. What’s 300 million Americans (actually, less than 100 million with any real disposable income) to these people?

I dont know. I guess we are screwed.

How does an illegal immigrant get a TWIC card? I’m not sure but I think you need to have documentation to get a twic and you need a twic to get an MMD. I don’t remember what kind of ID is required to get a twic because it was so long ago when I got mine.

[QUOTE=acesouthcoast;163678]… the fact of the matter is that if an american company wants to sponsor a foreign national they feel is the best candidate for an open position then they will petition a work visa on that foreigners behalf.[/QUOTE]

That Carnival ad for an exhaust guru is a great example - even though they are American only when it comes to accepting taxpayer subsidies. I know several people who fit every requirement in that ad plus years of operational experience as 1st or Chief who were declined because they didn’t meet some mystery requirement that is not listed. It looks like they have a foreigner in mind and are just going through the motions to claim there are no qualified Americans.

Tax the bastards out of our market is the best solution to this crap.

I was under the impression that the cruise ships that carnival operates dodge a shitload of taxes. Or maybe it was another company but i think 60 mins. Did a report on cruise ships being unaccountable to any governments on a large amount of taxable income. So yes, i think its time to drop the hammer on them if they want to enter our ports.

Not for nothing but the cruise ship industry might want to do a better job vetting there employees. The last few years all you hear about is engineering problems with these ships. I wouldn’t tale my wife on a cruise if my life depended on it. Im all set drifting dead ship with overflowing sewer systems.

I just read something interesting today…Carnival and other foreign cruise outfits that offer closed loop (cruise to nowhere) trips can no longer do so, and must stop in at least one foreign port before returning to the US. Whattaya know. It appears to be a new Customs regulation.

Anyone have more on this?

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6402