Immigrants without legal status able to apply for professional licenses in CA (link)

How the hell did this slip past us? This was signed into law late last year in California.

How long before the federal government will be forced to do the same and undocumented (illegal) foreigners apply for and receive US merchant mariner credentials and licenses?

An excerpt:

[FONT=arial]“Immigrants in the country illegally can apply for professional licenses under a new California law that aims to integrate them into the working world and generate new tax dollars for the state.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]The new law - [COLOR="#B22222"]SB 1159 - requires all 40 licensing boards under the California Department of Consumer Affairs to consider applicants regardless of immigration status by 2016.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT=arial]The law change follows a landmark state Supreme Court case earlier this year in which justices ruled that lawyer Sergio Garcia should be admitted to the California bar despite lacking legal status.”[/FONT]

This is bullshit…

More time and effort lionizing attention whores like the Kardashians and meanwhile this country is being sliced and diced and handed out to the carnivores like a felled carcass.

A “lawyer” who is a criminal that is violating immigration laws everyday is going to be admitted to the California Bar? Unbelievable!

Please tell me, he must an immigration lawyer?

What’s next? Is Obama going to issue another Executive Order to give all federal licenses to illegal immigrants? It would not surprise me.

If you like this, just keep voting for the liberals who are giving away the farm.

I just don’t have the words. . . . .

Citizenship now means nothing.

This is old news. Where’s everybody been? It’s just part of the “fundamental change”…you bunch of "racist, sexist, misogynist, bigoted, homophobic, xenophobes!! (If I missed any of the current “labels”, feel free to add.)

As a legal immigrant with many years of sea time holding a UK licence I am unable to apply for anything other than OUPV until I wait my 3 years to apply for citizenship.

I guess I am only allowed the benefit of the warm fuzzy feeling for doing things legally…

W.

[QUOTE=PilotWolf;163626]As a legal immigrant with many years of sea time holding a UK licence I am unable to apply for anything other than OUPV until I wait my 3 years to apply for citizenship.

I guess I am only allowed the benefit of the warm fuzzy feeling for doing things legally…

W.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to America. Thank you for coming legally. You knew the rules when you chose to come here. Enjoy continuing to sail on your MCA license on good ships for good money while you wait your turn for U. S. Citizenship and all the rights and obligations which come with it.

[QUOTE=PilotWolf;163626]As a legal immigrant with many years of sea time holding a UK licence I am unable to apply for anything other than OUPV until I wait my 3 years to apply for citizenship.

W.[/QUOTE]

That maybe true as far as officer endorsements go but unlicensed ratings do not require citizenship.

[QUOTE=injunear;163621]This is old news. Where’s everybody been? It’s just part of the “fundamental change”…you bunch of "racist, sexist, misogynist, bigoted, homophobic, xenophobes!! (If I missed any of the current “labels”, feel free to add.)[/QUOTE]

You missed transphobic, it’s the new black

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;163622][/QUOTE]

That’s why I posted the article, which also has an embedded link to the actual law. So, you know, you can read it.

There’s still crewing requirements that require citizenship on US vessels. Not 100% though.

The US should have an open labor market so that anyone from anywhere in the world can come and work here. What nationality someone is should not matter, it should just be who the best person for the job is. The idea of nationality should be redundant in international communist block that Obama and other world leaders are currently constructing.

There’s not enough work for the people who are here. Why should we keep importing 3rd worlders?

[QUOTE=follow40;163639]The US should have an open labor market so that anyone from anywhere in the world can come and work here. What nationality someone is should not matter, it should just be who the best person for the job is. The idea of nationality should be redundant in international communist block that Obama and other world leaders are currently constructing.[/QUOTE]

We have enough trouble finding work for US citizens as it is…and enough problems with companies abusing guest worker visa laws (see the issues with H-1b visa holders being hired not to supplement, but to DISPLACE US workers as is being done at Disney etc). Why on earth should we just open the floodgates and allow anyone to come here and work, likely for peanuts, while Americans line up at the unemployment office? Do you see any other industrialized nations doing this? Can I buy a plane ticket to Germany or Japan and just start applying for jobs? No, I have to follow their immigration and employment laws, so it’s absolutely reasonable to expect others to abide by ours. If you want to live here and/or work and go to school here, there is a process. Tough shit if it’s expensive and takes a long time, that’s the way it is.

Please don’t tell me you’re an American mariner, because we don’t need people in the ranks willing to give our jobs away. Already enough of that in Congress.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;163627]Welcome to America. Thank you for coming legally. You knew the rules when you chose to come here. Enjoy continuing to sail on your MCA license on good ships for good money while you wait your turn for U. S. Citizenship and all the rights and obligations which come with it.[/QUOTE]

Indeed and I work as a deckhand and pay taxes, etc. whilst I count the weeks until I can apply for my citizenship. It just bugs me that the illegals get all the same ‘rights’ as me for not contributing anything whilst my wife and I have paid $$$$ into our country, (I see the USA as my country).

[QUOTE=Chief Seadog;163628]That maybe true as far as officer endorsements go but unlicensed ratings do not require citizenship.[/QUOTE]

Hence I am working as a deckhand for the time being and whilst I love it I miss the challenge of being an officer.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying I want to be treated differently but maybe legal residents should be allowed to hold ratings too if they can show a positive link (a wife in my case) to the US?

W.

If you want to be pissed, be pissed at how broken and backwards US immigration policy and policy in general is.

PilotWolf’s situation is a perfect example. If it were the other way, a US sailor going to the UK, he could apply for a certificate of equivalency and sail on the same ticket he already had. We’re too stupid/protectionist to allow that though. Furthermore, if our citizenship laws made any sense at all, he wouldn’t have to play games with the system. Not a criminal? Do we need mariners with your qualifications? Come on in then, simple as.

People come here illegally because it’s beyond the means of many to come here legally. People who make the effort, sit and sink money into it and wait, and wait, and wait. It’s ridiculous.

We’ve got plenty of jobs for qualified people and we have plenty of room. It’s not immigrants’ fault that the bleating masses won’t allow any meaningful reform.

Hmmm so this whole immigration mess is the US citizenry’s fault then? Righhttttt…

[QUOTE=Slick Cam;163673]Hmmm so this whole immigration mess is the US citizenry’s fault then? Righhttttt…[/QUOTE]

Mainly congress but, by extension, yes.

I sympathize for your situation. I know what its like to be on deck with a license and feel totally unchallenged. I can also relate to you immigration status. My wife and i are going through similar process. Its a very time consuming and expensive process and the only thing that sustains us is the theory that the fees and background checks are in place to prevent people from entering our country and abusing our laws like terrorists or questionable illegal aliens. Also we have no problem obeying laws. Best of luck to you. Hopefully you will be rewarded for doing everything the correct way.

[QUOTE=Slick Cam;163673]Hmmm so this whole immigration mess is the US citizenry’s fault then? Righhttttt…[/QUOTE]

The ones who illegally employ them, yes.