I'm still amazed at his response! Has anyone had any experience with siu?

I contacted SIU, “Harvey Louisiana” I asked about joining SIU and what the fees would be, and tried to tell him about my credentials and such, and his response was that I had to attend a year long school, and that he didn’t have time to talk to me because somebody just pulled into the parking lot… WTH!!! Since when do you have to go to school to get the credentials you already have? Is this the normal for SIU? Did I catch him on a bad day, or has anyone else experienced such rudeness from the office?

[QUOTE=flapper;115139]I contacted SIU, “Harvey Louisiana” I asked about joining SIU and what the fees would be, and tried to tell him about my credentials and such, and his response was that I had to attend a year long school, and that he didn’t have time to talk to me because somebody just pulled into the parking lot… WTH!!! Since when do you have to go to school to get the credentials you already have? Is this the normal for SIU? Did I catch him on a bad day, or has anyone else experienced such rudeness from the office?[/QUOTE]

I don’'t have any experience with the SIU but I wouldn’t call them but go to the hall with your credentials neatly arranged in plastic sleeves or whatever and catch them when they are not busy.

Do you really think it would do any good if he insists that I have to have this school? Basically he told me that I would be just sitting there on his desk for up to two years without this school…

I think he is full of it. I would go to another hall!

[QUOTE=flapper;115141]Do you really think it would do any good if he insists that I have to have this school? Basically he told me that I would be just sitting there on his desk for up to two years without this school…[/QUOTE]

Don’t know, but he may have just wanted to get you off the phone so he could go back playing solitaire or whatever. I wouldn’t let one person on the phone shut me down.

I think so too. It’s the only hall in Louisiana, and the next nearest is Houston Tx. I’m thinking to call another hall and see what they say, before I take any further actions…

[QUOTE=flapper;115144]I think so too. It’s the only hall in Louisiana, and the next nearest is Houston Tx. I’m thinking to call another hall and see what they say, before I take any further actions…[/QUOTE]

Or call / email the headquarters. Or maybe a forum member with SIU experience will weigh in.

If you call tell them you have all your credentials and want to go to work.

Thanks Kennebec, I am going to do that. I don’t think it would do any good to go to or call this office again. I really wanted to poke him in the eye lol but then he would’ve been a one eyed a**hole lol

First, does SIU have jobs these days? Not sure, but there was a time when unlic personnel went to Piney Point. No, not that they needed to but that was one means of generating money for them. In my dealings with union it was always about them, and what money I could provide to them, and little more. Sure, it maybe with it to pay the dues, go to the schools, and pay into whatever fund is the present scam, but I’d first want to know if they can out me to work. I’d he’d for the GOM. Must be some company there that needs a good cook ( given you are one).

@ Xmsccapt, Yes I am an excellent cook, and I have applied to most GOM jobs available, ones that may become available and door to door… crossing my fingers and hoping one of them will give me an oppurtunity… thanks for your response

I shipped with SIU for two and a half years on a company hired job. After that I went to ship threw the normal process (job threw the hall) and was told the same thing - that I would have to go threw the apprentice program even after being a dues paying member. This was back in 2002.

Stubborn as I am, I refused and struggled for a few years getting the sea time for my AB. They try to lock down the entry level jobs to prevent people like you and I from going that route. SIU certainly wants everyone to go threw their program if that person is entry level. What you were told is normal in my experience.

In hindsight it would have been better for me to go threw their program. But someone who has bills, family or other financial responsibilities would have an awful time in their apprentice program.

why dont you apply with a catering company? Bailys and OSA are hiring cooks.

http://www.baileyscss.com/

http://www.osa.bz/

They make them go to school, but half of the ones I worked with dont know anything. I can only talk about the engine department but I have sailed with both SIU and MFOW. I am not sure if MFOW has a school, but my experience has been MFOW has much better, more knowledgeable people. I was on a ship that had MFOW and then took a big pay cut. They could not fill the jobs so they started letting SIU take the jobs…Holy crap what a nightmare. My electrician was a gloried light bulb changer who managed to black out the ship while changing a light bulb and the reefer was well, on reefer? Both were nice guys and good shipmates, but they lacked knowledge of their jobs. Now when I was on the tankers I had some good SIU OMU’s and wipers.
Like anything else there are good and bad all over.

@ stick, I have apps in with both of these companies already, but thank you for the suggestions…

How someone manages to black out the plant changing a light bulb is beyond me. I guess I’ve been lucky these years! What I want to know is, where will all the permanents go when the C-10s are scrapped?

[QUOTE=MFOWelectrician;115192]How someone manages to black out the plant changing a light bulb is beyond me. I guess I’ve been lucky these years! What I want to know is, where will all the permanents go when the C-10s are scrapped?[/QUOTE]

Guy was changing a bulb in the switchgear room and kicked the main breaker to the online DG while on the ladder
Some of the guys were put on the S12’s and some were told “keep in touch”. Some also said screw it an retired. I took a Chiefs job with another outfit.

Oh sweet Jeebus. And I thought we had dumbasses.