Illegals coming to a boat near you?

So with 5 million new workers on the books is it possible that they will be issued an MMC and join or ranks in the near future? Will the CG recognize their “legal” status and grant them the right to be a merchant seaman?

If they get their I-551 along with their TWIC the answer is yes they would be eligible to get a MMC. Your point being?

My point is it would be unfair to grant these people an MMC and then have it rescinded when the next president decides that this executive action is not warranted.

still can’t obtain a license though

So you want a more permanent solution?

Enforcing the laws on the books would be a nice start.

I want something that is more substantive than what happened tonight.
How do you give 5 million people the right to reside in this country immediately with the caveat that it may be taken away at any moment.

There’s at least 20 illegal vessels in Fourchon already.

[QUOTE=KeysBum7229;148338]My point is it would be unfair to grant these people an MMC and then have it rescinded when the next president decides that this executive action is not warranted.[/QUOTE]

This is not a genuine problem that we need to worry about. Newly documented aliens are not going to rush out to get twic cards, Mmc, take bst classes etc. and spend months and thousands of dollars to suddenly become entry level mariners. Especially since most of them have never even seen the ocean.

Most of them will not even sigh up for the new Obama plan. They are not go not going to trust a temporary plan that will be challenged in the courts, and will be the focus of a lot of political controversy . They are better off to keep working under the radar like they are now.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=AHTS Master;148344]There’s at least 20 illegal vessels in Fourchon already.[/QUOTE]

That is a real problem for us. I hope something can be done to change these waiver give aways its ridiculous.

[That is a real problem for us. I hope something can be done to change these waiver give aways its ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully the addition of the Chouest/Harvey/Hornbeck/Oceaneering construction vessels will be a good start. Hornbeck is converting the HOS Riverbend to a 194 person flotel per their 3Q announcement. As far as I know it will be the only Jones Act flotel with that capacity. Murica! Nuff said!

[QUOTE=KeysBum7229;148338]My point is it would be unfair to grant these people an MMC and then have it rescinded when the next president decides that this executive action is not warranted.[/QUOTE]

I think there would be some sort of grandfathering. At least I would hope for their sake, it would supremely suck to have the rug pulled out so to speak.

But I think this should have been a Congressional decision, not a Presidential order.